Sport bikes vs. Choppers: Pros and Cons?

I plan on getting a chopper just because of appearance and image, but I'm just wondering what each has over the other. My friend keeps trying to tell me that sport bikes are better, so some points to use an an argument would be great.

Favorite Answer

Choppers can be mobile works of art. Totally unpractical, zero agility, rough riding, more about a look than a rideable bike. The ones with decent C&C powerplants will vibrate you and the bike itself to death. Built for looks and nothing else, which is ok if that is what you want but very expensive for a decent one.

Sport bikes are street legal track bikes. The ultimate in speed, accelerating, agility, stopping power. Totally unpractical for normal riding. All the performance is a waste. Too uncomfortable for long rides, leg cramps from cramped riding position, sore butt from shallow seats. Low bars are hard on girly men with sissy arms. The only passenger who doesn't look stupid is a 19 year old gymnast. Great bang for the buck, very reasonably priced for such high performance.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avsy2

A chopper is a hand-made custom creation, you cannot buy one from a dealership – be clear about what you are talking about, if you mean a cruiser say so. As a Brit I can tell you that the average British rider overwhelmingly prefers a sportsbike (apart from scooters and the odd anomaly like the BMW 1200GS the sales charts are dominated by sportsbikes). Yes some can be uncomfortable after a while, however I have ridden across France with people on ZX6Rs, CBR600RRs and a Ducati 916, the latter nearly crippled the rider after 800 miles in a day, the riders on the other bikes were fine (relatively). The drawback with these bikes is that there are very few places to actually use all the bikes have to offer, some autobahns in Germany and parts of the Isle of Man during certain periods and tracks. By any performance criteria a sportsbike will out-perform a cruiser. I’d have a close look at what he says about the British motor industry – apart from some very high-end cars, manufacturing for Japanese cars, research and development for race teams and very few motorcycle manufacturers (only Triumph has any real size) – there is no motor industry compared with three decades ago (and most of those cars were rubbish ask him about an Allegro). That said US cars have an appalling reputation in Europe (mostly deserved).

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): sport bikes choppers pros cons: https://shortly.im/275Ux
  • axtman

Sportbike Chopper

Cons

Both are uncomfortable to ride

No protection from the elements

Terrible for two up riding

Choppers if built with a rigid rear end are terrible riding machines. Choppers are only a fair weather machine.

Pro

If you like a bike that can handle, then buy a sport bike. Choppers are not designed for handling. Sport bikes have amazing brakes. Choppers have poor braking abilities.

In my opinion, choppers are about the most useless motorcycle made followed by sport bikes. I cannot see the value in either an expensive custom bike that is only used for short distance riding or a high performance sport bike that is overkill on the street.

Never seen the appeal aside from bragging rites in owning a 175 mph road racing bike to ride around town.

There are better machines to own if you like riding.

Good Luck

I don't think you know what a chopper is.You build a chopper yourself,you don't buy one.O.C.C. does not make a real chopper! Neither does Jesse James! Those are just expensive custom motorcycles. Chopping in the beginning was about removing any extra weight to make the bike faster. it still is about that if you build a real one. All of my bikes are chopped and i built them all. You don't buy one you build it yourself.It is a personal statement and a middle finger to the world! If built with a sprung solo seat,and if you run the tires at about 15 P.S.I. they are just fine on comfort.I use Performance Machine brakes with a 6 piston caliper so mine stop just fine. I go with 36 degrees of rake and a 6 inch extension so mine are not to radical and can still turn decently. However a chopper is no sport bike! But if built to be ridden and not to be a trailer queen show bike they work very well.Check out THE HORSE BACKSTREET CHOPPERS magazine [they are online as well] and you will see real choppers that are ridden every day.If you get a chance to go to the Smokie Mountain Smokeout then you should go.Its all about choppers at that run.The Smoke out West is here in az in Oct.As for sport bikes very fast,and very uncomfortable for a long ride.But fun as hell on twisty back roads on Sunday morning!

Get either a street bike with a good fairing, like a Honda CBF 600, or a sport-touring like a VFR1200. Both cruisers and sportbikes are too unpractical and uncomfortable for a practical frequent use, like the 1 answer says. This answer is aimed at someone visiting this question recently.

i used to own a honda shadow, i now currently own a honda cbf (well im gonna sell it because i got a full bike license now)

for me the pros and cons

chopper

steering is awkward if your used to riding other bike (but you will get used to it in time)

slower at accelerating than sports bikes

lower center of gravity (i live in london so its hard to see busy roads ahead)

my shadow had an armchair for a seat therefore for me it was comfy and i once crashed my shadow and only the mudguard was damaged, the bike was a tank

sports bikes

you sit higher on the bike and steering is awkward if your used to chopper style bikes

it accelerates much more quickly (it ll win in a drag race xp)

their smaller than choppers so their easier to filter through traffic

to me, they look like they break easily but ive not crashed on one ... yet ...? lol

Source(s): my first bike was the shadow and i brought it because it looked cool, i kinda wished i never sold it. its your choice
  • Dimo J

Racing motorcycles are built for the track.

Sport bikes *built* for appearance and image of being a race motorcyclist.

Peak Horsepower is just a number. Usable horsepower is better.

"Choppers" are just as bad, style without reason.

Get a Standard, or a cruiser.

Interesting discussion!