What was the relationship between Bill Ayers and Barack Obama?

Bill Ayers is a former leader of a domestic terrorist organization, the Weatherman. President Obama minimized his relationship with Bill Ayers during the 2008 presidential campaign. Since then, however, more published research has improved our understanding of the depth and nature of the relationship between Bill Ayers and Barack Obama.

• Edward
    Best Answer

During the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign, a controversy arose regarding Ayers' contacts with then-candidate Barack Obama, a matter that had been public knowledge in Chicago for years. After being raised by the British press the connection was picked up by conservative blogs and newspapers in the United States. The matter was raised in a campaign debate by moderator George Stephanopoulos, and later became an issue for the John McCain presidential campaign. Investigations by The New York Times, CNN, and other news organizations concluded that Obama does not have a close relationship with Ayers. In an op-ed piece after the election, Ayers denied any close association with Obama, and castigated the Republican campaign for its use of guilt by association tactics. In a new edition of his memoirs, Fugitive Days: Memoirs of an Anti-War-Activist, he added a new afterword describing the blogospheric characterization of their relationship as "neighbors and family friends" ("In 2008 there was a lot of chatter on the blogosphere about my relationship with Barack Obama: we had served together on the board of a foundation, knew one another as neighbors and family friends, held an initial fundraiser at my house, where I'd made a small donation to his earliest political campaign."). This was misleadingly characterized as his own claim by some.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/bill-ayers#ixzz1Uulle...

Source(s): Answers.com

Neighbors. Served on the same board of directors of an education project.

My question to you is this:

Why haven’t the people who are spinning this for political gain calling for the resignations of everyone who worked with Bill Ayers for years at the University of Illinois? Side by side, day in and day out, with Bill Ayers. Quite different than a monthly board meeting, don’t you think?

By the way. I’ve served on a few boards, and I’ve spent time in meetings at board member’s homes, and I couldn’t tell you jack about what they did when I was 8 years old. Nor could they tell you what I was doing 20 years ago.

The right-wing needs to start focusing on solving problems, creating jobs, saving our valuable social programs, and less time on demonizing Barack Obama. It’s beyond tiring. It has been 3 years of daily lies and distortions about Obama. Stop now. We’re tired of it.

By the way...have you wondered where Joe Biden’s birth certificate is? Has ANYONE? I mean, he’s 2nd in command, after all.

Let’s get on with making this country great. And step #1 is re-electing Barack Obama and retaking the House of Representatives.

• The right -wing has always focused on solving problems to create jobs, cut giving out freebees to people that DO NOT DESERVE IT, and investigate all the other failures of the Obama Adm. like Benghazi, IRS and all the other scandals linked to Obama that the news media does not report to Americans.

According to Obama''s book that he is suppose to have written, they are neighbors and Obama's political career started sin Bill Ayres' living room at a social gathering.

Herb

Both are former/current terrorists.

Yes they were in the same room once.

They share the same hate.

Purely Sexual.. clearly.

• Ronald

very limited relationship. but if you have more info please enlighten us. please expand on it.