Christians against Psychology?

Are Christians against psychology? I am a Psychology Grad student, who is a Christian and obviously think psychology is helpful and necessary. However, I had a comment from a fellow Christian that psychology is wrong. Is there any biblical scripture backing up his claims?

Favorite Answer

I am not a Christian, but I am a psychologist. I hope you don't mind my answering your question. I know many psychologists who are also deeply religious. I also know many clergy who have studied psychology in order to better serve their parishioners. None of these people have ever claimed that psychology and Christianity conflict in any way. We study human behavior and the human mind. Perhaps the Christian who told you this should be reminded that by your beliefs, God blessed you with the desire to help others when they need it most.

Though I am not Christian, I highly encourage my religious clients to continue their therapy while also seeking comfort in the their faith. We certainly do not believe that religious people are suffering from psychosis.

Good luck in your studies. As a fellow grad student, I know how difficult it can be.

It's a tough area for me in some cases. I am Christian and studied psychology, worked in mental health for years, have a mental illness etc.

I distrust psychology. I trust medical psychiatry because I have to. I wish I had stayed on my nursing track.

psychology in general is a soft science. Biopsychology/Neuropsychology is the study of the brain in relation to psychology and is a medical field.

Freud was a crazy, drug addicted pervert. The rest of them made some advances and discoveries that are worthy, but psychological theories do not usually hold up under the scientific method and are not much more than conjecture.

I DO believe that psychology/therapy DOES HELP PEOPLE, but if you are livng as a disciple of Christ, I would strongly suggest a Christian counselor.

Source(s): been in and around the world of psychology for over 10 years

What Is Christian Psychology

• David

Some Fundamentalist and Pentecostal types are against psychology, mainly because they don't really understand the subject. I am a fairly conservative Christian, bordering on what most might call Fundamentalist, but I see the value of psychology because it's been a great help to me. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, and cognitive behavioral therapy helps me deal with day-to-day stresses. This is not to detract from the role of God in my life, rather, I see it as one of the tools God has given me for my well-being.

Sensible Christians aren't against psychology. Psychology should be used for good though, not bad.

Some Christians are against it, but not all of us. I'm a Christian and am a big fan. If I ever get the kids sorted out enough I'd like to go back an.d do an Ed-Psych degree

• Catman

Psychology is understanding how people think.

I'm Christian and don't understand why it's bad, I just saw a counsellor today for my mom's cancer. She encouraged us to go to Church and stay on the same team.

Methinks there is a forked tongue here somewhere, nobody that graduated in Psych could fail to see the whole bible as applied psychology

There is no scripture against psychology. I wonder if you got an extremist who believes that there is no such thing as psychosis but possession and no neurosis that can't be healed by faith and prayer?

I believe most pastors, ministers and priests are required to take some psychology as a part of their studies.