HELP!!!!! Home computer is stuck on "please do not unplug or power off computer....." ?

My home main computer has the windows vista home premium program. I had it on for a couple of minutes and I thought I turned it off but I noticed that it was still on. The screen had the words " please do not unplug or power off machine updating step 1 of 5....." I don't know if the "...."... show more My home main computer has the windows vista home premium program. I had it on for a couple of minutes and I thought I turned it off but I noticed that it was still on. The screen had the words " please do not unplug or power off machine updating step 1 of 5....." I don't know if the "...." means that there is another part of the message, but that's the only thing on the screen and the mouse arrow has a circle and it won't move. I looked up what to do and alot of people say click this ,or put in that disk but obviously I can't click on anything. Another person said to restart it but there are a bunch of steps and at one point they even said that the computer would be wiped clean so all info will be lost. I can't lose all the info in my computer what can I do?? Please anyone help!!!!
Update: I should also mention that it's been on step 1 for the past couple hours and I tried to turn off the computer because the Internet wasn't working. Does it need internet in order to update?
Update 2: I didn't try to turn it off when it was stuck. When I tried to turn it off the first time before it started updating it didn't have Internet.