Can you wet sand using normal sandpaper?

I've got some regular 600 grit sandpaper. It doesn't say "wet" anywhere. I want to use it to smooth down a surface before I switch to the wet or dry 1000 and 2000 grits that I already have.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • XTX
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

=== don't use the dry paper for your purpose of wet sanding .... because it will bunch up and the sand/grit will collect up and cause ""scratches"" in your project === just you the correct product for the right job === less work than trying to correct any gouges in the sanding area .....

• hamson
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Wet Sandpaper

• Grace
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I know it's been a while but there is an advantage to using water on unfinished wood. Only do this on your last final sanding. What you want to do is get like a hand cloth and get it ever so slightly wet. You only want to get the surface of the wood to just kind of turn color when you get it wet. This will cause the wood fibers to swell a little then take your finish sand paper and lightly go over it. Then let it dry and take compressed air and or a cheese cloth and wipe or blow the surface off. If done right you will have a smoother surface than just dry sandpaper can accomplish.

• Ray
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

You can do it (I've done it) but you notice the different color and feel between wet and dry papers? The black (wet) is made stronger meant to withstand being wet. It wont last as long or do quite as good a job, but you can do it.

EDIT: lots of thumbs down from the know-it-all's on (right back at ya) this one but I stand firm. Would I use it on a $5.000 paint job, of course not! In a pinch on a small project of course and again, I have done it. If it's a small project it will work just fine in place of wet sandpaper.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

No you cannot, regular sand paper is for dry use only. It will fall apart if wetted.

• 8 years ago

probably not, it will fall apart

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.