promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which portable generator should I buy?

I am looking to buy a portable generator to have on my property. It will need to be able to run two submersible pumps (120 litres a minute each) or emergency lighting in case of a power cut. I may also use it occasionally for various handy man chores. I really don't want to spend more than £250 - £300. Any ideas? Thanks

Update:

Can I plug regular British three pin plugs into them? In the pictures they show what looks like a different three pin plug hole?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bazza, as usual, has given an excellent answer. As to the socket, some generators have Continental (Shuko), BS 4343 (Industrial) or American sockets. Adapters are available, but if in difficulty you could make your own by buying a suitable plug and 13 amp socket. This is what I did with my generator.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Electrician
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You have to add up the total wattage consumed by your pumps and lighting. Then buy a generator with a bit of spare capacity. If you search 'portable generators uk' you will get a huge choice of machines. If you omit 'portable' you will get industrial giants.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Sounds like a job for a portable generator for sure - have you looked into inverter generators?

they are smaller, and much more fuel efficient than a regular portable generator ;)

• 9 years ago

I got a generator from B&Q, it does the job for me, it runs drills and lights, but not heaters also charges car batteries if needed... see link for an idea. Also click where it says Generators for others.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detai...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

buy a honda. even if its second hand.. they go on for ever

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.