Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 9 years ago

Some random car crash questions?

I'm curious about a few things.

What happens if there is a bad car accident and one of the victims is trapped? What do paramedics do to help the victim if they get there before the fire department comes to extract (?) the victim?

How can you tell if a victim is in shock? What situations require you to use a neck brace on the victim? What do you do if the victim starts to panic? Overall, what happens at a car crash scene?

Random question... there was an accident in my area recently, where the guy was on the phone with his girlfriend when the crash occured. He managed to get to the area, and my friend said it's probably because the cop or a paramedic talked to him on the phone. Does that happen?

Yeahhhh... stupid questions probably, but I was curious. Thanks :)

I actually am interested in stuff like this, a career in the medical field is something that interests me a lot. I wanted to be a paramedic, but just a basic EMT course around here costs upwards of $8,000. I have considered doing a ride along with an ambulance, but I have no idea if they allow it or who to even call. These were just questions I was curious about, especially after reading about a series of bad accidents in my area recently.

Favorite Answer

>>What happens if there is a bad car accident and one of the victims is trapped? What do paramedics do to help the victim if they get there before the fire department comes to extract (?) the victim?

Start patient care as best as I am able while the FD turns the car into a convertible.

>>How can you tell if a victim is in shock?

Signs of shock: Pale, cool skin, rapid & weak heart rate, low BP, anxiety, sense of impending doom.

>>What situations require you to use a neck brace on the victim?

Any patient that I suspect may have a spinal injury gets spinal precautions, which includes the Cervical Collar.

PS-We like to refer to them as patients, not victims. =)

Source(s): I'm a Paramedic

Paramedics will treat the victim the best they can in the position, check vitals mostly. For shock, it is paleness of the skin, confusion, lost consciousness. The neck brace is used for most victims in a car crash due to possible c-spine (part of the spine in the neck) injuries (i.e. broken neck). They also used backboards for all victims for spine injuries (in the back area). If a victim starts to panic you try your best to cal them down. Paramedics may use sedatives to calm the patient. Hope this helps your curiosity.

Source(s): I am a Wilderness First Responder

I reckon that you need to go and do a First Aid Course, you are not curious, you are INTERESTED.

Go for it, never a waste of time.

Re accident = Jaws of Life.

Shock = Always assume shock but yes, rapid pulse, cold and shivering etc.

Area, yes it does.

they probably shoot him full of morphine and get a hot stripper to rub her **** on the windshield to distract him from the pain