Should i buy this laptop?

I have 3000$ saved up and i want a laptop. Im looking at the dell precision m6600 it will cost me around 2200 with the specs i want. My problem is i really want it but if i get it il drain my money. I was saving up for a trip to europe but it wont happen, so now im not really saving for anything but having money is better then no money...... Wtf should i do >_<

Update:

Photoshop will be the most intense program il use, and on my old laptop when i went into HDRI it started lagging like hell and that was not even with raw images(raw image is 34mb per image) and hdri takes 3 or more of those images and puts it into one i dont really know if i need a precision for that but i want to make sure it runs as smooth as possible

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you run applications like AutoCAD or 3ds Max or some other that really uses the professional graphics and can benefit from certified hardware, the Precision is a good choice. You aren't likely to find anything much cheaper than that in terms of a mobile workstation. I payed $2100 for my Quadro-equipped Latitude at the time they still made those and it's not even ISV certified.

But if you want a laptop for gaming or if you're not going to be running intensive engineering programs, you don't want a Precision. It's not a gaming machine and it's overkill for anything else. In this case, you would best be finding a cheaper computer, or something still higher-end but with consumer-grade hardware. It would probably serve your needs better and it'll be lighter on the wallet.

Edit: Photoshop isn't a program that really benefits from having workstation graphics unless you plan to be using a lot of the 3D features that were introduced sometime during the last few versions. If you plan to be working mostly with flat images, any decent GPU should do you well (never buy integrated graphics), and the most important thing to watch is that you get a computer with enough RAM to run the program. Certainly a Precision will run it well, but I think you can easily find a computer with similar hardware, with different graphics, that will run it just as well. I also can't find a certified hardware list for Photoshop, so that right there could be a big hint. But I don't know the specs of your last laptop, so I can't tell you if any one thing was bottlenecking PS, so you'll have to use your judgement.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I had the same issue. But then i ended up buying a dell inspiron. It works the exact same. And it was much cheaper. I got a very powerful one for $699. And i think that is perfect for everyone. I do not think getting the dell precisoin m6600 is a smart choice.

Source(s): Experience.
  • 9 years ago

why won't you be smart about your money and get a less cheaper laptop so you have extra money in your pocket.. the less cheaper laptops are just as good.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes, you can buy laptop that you want because you can go trip to Europe next time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

buy a desktop

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.