Beck89 asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

What's your opinion on the Chicago White Sox?

I just moved to Chicago for my first real job after graduating college. I lived in downstate Illinois, so I was a Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bears fan already. However, the St. Louis Cardinals were the popular team downstate, so I was raised a Cardinals fan.

Now that I'm planning on living and working long-term in Chicago, I want to adopt one of the Chicago baseball teams as my own. I know a lot more about the Cubs than I do about the Sox and I live on the north side, but it might be a pretty big jump to go from the Cardinals to the Cubs.

However, I didn't know much about the Sox until this year, however I think I'm starting to like them. Hawk Harrelson has a lot of personality, I like Konerko, Buehrle, and Quentin. I s'pose I can live with Guillen - he's entertaining, but sometimes I think he's a little over the top.

My question is what is the public perception of the Sox? I wanted to know before I made a final decision. There are a few things that make he hesitant about joining the Sox. I don't know why, but I think the fact that there considered the "second team" in Chicago bugs me. I don't know why it bothers me, though.

Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Well, for worrying about the whole "Second Team" thing in Chicago, don't. The "First Team" is the Cubs and, well......I am not accusing anyone, but many Cubs fans are Cubs fans because it's more of a party at Wrigley.

The public perception of the White Sox is just normal. Guillen makes a lot of people hate the team and the GM Kenny Williams is really bad at making moves. But like you said, the players on the team are cool......Konerko, Quentin, and Beuhrle are classy players who are out there doing there best.

The stereotypes of the White Sox are that they are blue-collar, no one cares about the White Sox, and they ahve fair-weather fans because of the 2005 World Series. All of those are untrue.

That's the best I can do. It's tough to describe, but you should become a fan of the White Sox. They have a lot of history and Paul Konerko is the man. As for Guillen, he annoys all Sox fans at some point with the stuff he does......so don't worry about him.

the sox are only called the second team because the cubs are older but the sox are clearly the better team and even have a bigger fan base outside of Illinois then the cubs do. i cheer for the cubs once in a while but i can NEVER be a cubs fan because cubs fans are stuck up snotty rich kids

just look at GABY or eamus catuli

My opinion on the White Sox is going to be biased since I'm a Sox fan. I think it's funny that we're called Chicago's second team considering we're almost always better than the Cubs.

What we going to hear? We're white trash, thugs, our ballpark is in the ghetto, attendance? It never ends with you idiot Cubs fans. The Sox are far better than the Cubs btw.

Follow whatever team you like better. White Sox have a lot of talent but are highly under-achieving. They have a sick logo though and everyone loves their hat. Good luck to whichever team you decide to follow.

White Sox fans are thugs, their announcer is a shameless homer as well as a loudmouth and their manager is another loudmouth and a jerk. The team is as mediocre as the Cubs but plays in the weakest division in MLB so their faults aren't as apparent.

I think I'd stay a Cardinals fan before I switched allegiance to the White Sox.

Be a White Sox fan if you want, but don't even get me started on Hawk Harrelson.

Source(s): eamus catuli

I think they're a pretty good team with a lot of potential. Don't be surprised if they sneak up and win the AL Central this year.

White Sux

A team that has great talent, but are underachieving immensely.

as a fan of their rivals to the north, i hate them with a passion