1998 dodge ram 1500 cylinder misfire.?

I have a 1998 dodge RAM 1500 check engine light is on and the code are for a cylinder 3 misfire and a random cylinder misfire. I have changed plugs and wires (yes they have good connection) distributer cap, and rotor button. But nothing is working! Please help!

Could it possibly be the distributer or fuel injectors?

Best Answer

Have you checked the compression in that cylinder?

Oh yeah. It could also be cylinder #3 injector.

Check #3 plug for a crack in the ceramic end, or switch it with another plug to see if the other cylinder starts to miss fire, if you still have an issue with#3. Change out the coil. The most common problem with radom misfires are coil related. Hope this helps.

im having same issue on my 97 5.9. ive tried swapping plugs with other cylinders, swapped injectors around and changed coil, plugs wires cap and rotor as well. Ive had no luck either. after running a day or sometimes a week after resetting, engine light comes back on

• Kenny4 years agoReport

Look down into the intake manifold with the throttle held open and see if there is oil on the bottom. If so you need a new intake plenum gasket. But if u can afford it I would buy the hughes plenum kit. Stock plenum pan on bottom of intake is steel but intake is aluminum. Need aluminum pan.