Jay™
Jay™ asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

is alcohol bad for dogs?

first off, I don't feed my dog alcohol, I'm not weird/sick like that. I own a little 10 pound maltese (pure breed) who turned 6 this year.

yesterday I cracked open a corona that began to overflow immediately and a good amount hit the carpet floor in my home. my dog came over, saw the spilled liquid on the floor and began licking away at it (I picked him up immediately and put him in my mom's arms so I could clean up without his interference).

so I'm wondering how bad alcohol is for dogs? I mean I'm pretty sure that a few licks of "floor-beer" won't do anything to my dog, but it got me curious haha

So you just stood around like an idiot watching your dog drink the entire contents of a bottle of alcohol? It sounds like you'd had quite a few too many drinks yourself. I think I smell a troll here. If your dog is still alive, take it to the vet and be prepared for a life time of liver problems for this poor dog.

Good question, as far as non-trolling and inquisitiveness goes. = ) You're right. A few licks wouldn't cause any problems in the slightest. But beer (in substantial amounts) would have similar effects on dogs as it would on humans, perhaps with greater complication.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • Lizzie

Dogs metabolize alcohol differently from humans and tend to die from alcohol poisoning or liver failure far more easily (and quickly) than people do.

Your dog is probably OK. Just be more careful in the future.

im aure it is! things as simple as grapes can be toxic to dogs. alchohal can be very bad for some humans, so no doubt in my mind it is! if it was a veeeerrrryyy small amount i wouldnt worry, but if your just a little questionable you might as well call the vet to be safe--you really got nothin to lose! good luck!

Well yea but depends if your dog lick a lot then might but visit your vet just in case

I have a paper that says what is bad for dogs and it says alcohol so yeah it is, but it probably depends on how much he drank.

Alcohol is really bad for dogs.

Source(s): owner of two dogs
  • Alison

Dogs love beer I don't suggest giving it to them but it won't harm her.

Source(s): pet groomer

as long as it wasn't too much alcohol there won't be a problem. be more careful like the person above me said!:)

He should he fine but be more careful next time