Will paying extra on the principle of an auto loan lower my monthly payments or just pay it off quicker?

I just got an auto loan recently. My question is, if i make extra payments towards the principle, will my monthly payments be lower over the 60 month term of my loan, or will my monthly payments stay the same and I just have fewer of them to make? I'm asking because I'm planning on moving in an apartment... show more I just got an auto loan recently. My question is, if i make extra payments towards the principle, will my monthly payments be lower over the 60 month term of my loan, or will my monthly payments stay the same and I just have fewer of them to make? I'm asking because I'm planning on moving in an apartment sometime in the future and would like to have lower monthly auto payments if possible.

Thanks,