Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

What's it like living in Canada?

I'm considering moving out of UK once i finish my bachelor degree, get some work experience, finish law school and get a masters in the country i chose to immigrate to.

What are the pros and cons of living in Canada? and is it as bureaucratic as england with high taxes?

I'm just looking for opinions and experiences so that i can make my own decision

Best Answer

The easiest actual way for someone to immigrate to Canada is to be educated in Canada and have a student job of some sort while they're doing so.

We've something called Canadian Experience Class - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.a...

It's a more streamlined process for applicants seeking to make a home and life here.

Keep that in mind as your best option.

Canada's a diverse, open and accepting nation.

We're rated as being the world's friendliest country, and its most-welcoming-towards-immigrants.

We have the highest per-capita immigration rate in the world.

We're also rated as the most tolerant nation in the OECD.

Multiculturalism works here, unlike the half-hearted attempts made by European nations.

So you'll find us fairly easy to get along with. Though you may come to dread travel times.

This is a bloody huge country with an exceedingly low population density.

I live in the Province of Ontario, which is four times the size of the entire UK.

I once drove 24 straight hours with friends and we never left Ontario once.

In Europe, that same trip would've taken me from central Spain to central Poland.

And Ontario's just one of 10 Provinces and 3 Territories that comprise Canada.

By UK standards, things are impossibly spread out and far apart.

But the opportunities are just as limitless for those who want to make a go of it here.

Canada's one of the 10 safest countries in the world and even by our standards crime is at its lowest since the early 1970s.

As a people we're rated as one of the fittest and most relaxed nationalities.

We also lead the world in educational attainment.

Canadians, so I'm told, pay less overall taxes than UK residents. But not by much.

Canada (as of 2010) has a 31.2% marginal tax rate on average income workers.

In the UK (as of 2010) it was 32%.

Economically we're the best advanced-economy on the planet.

Of all G7 nations, we were least affected by the credit crunch/global recession.

And we've fully recouped what losses we did suffer.

Canadian banks are rated as being the world's soundest.

We've barely one-tenth of America's population, but we've been consistently outperforming them in jobs creation.

So economic conditions & opportunities are, overall, far better here than elsewhere.

We don't see ourselves as overly bureaucratic.

If you tally up civil servants, the UK's Home Civil Service alone as a over a hundred thousand more civil servants than all of Canada's combined (Federal, Provincial and Territorial.)

We're certainly not a surveillance society like the UK with those CCTV's everywhere.

We also don't have council estates, and what subsidized housing we do have is nowhere on the scale of what's in the UK.

You won't find anything like Becontree in Dagenham with its hundred thousand residents over here

Canadians have the world's highest rate of home ownership and biggest homes too – 77% of Canadian houses have five or more rooms.

Now for something completely different: climate.

Most people in the UK do know that Canada has colder, snowier winters.

Many don't know that our summers are far hotter and far more humid than the UK's.

It's rather like a Caribbean vacation minus the palm trees.

On the bright side (literally) we get more sunshine per year than the UK does.

I know this is all just general info, but I hope it helps at least somewhat.

Whatever you decide for your future, cheers to your success at it!

Don't know about England specifically but having lived in some other western European countries, my opinion is that Canada is not as bureaucratic but there are still some areas which require a lot of hoop jumping.

Taxes, again, not as bad comparatively speaking but not as low as the US for example

You would be an international student, if you studied in Canada. Going to be expensive.

You will need work experience to get an immigration visa. Canada selects immigrants according to their chances of earning a living successfully.

Also high taxes in Canada but high quality of life as well. You should come and see the vastness , the tranquillity, the richness, the beauty and the warmth of the land.

Summer is only two weeks of bad skating. The rest of the year is good hockey ice.