asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 9 years ago

Question about biotin..?

I am taking the gnc 2500 biotin because im trying to grow my alittle longer so I can donate it. My question is, is 2500 biotin enough for an 18 year old? Im 18 btw and my hair grows pretty fast. I just want to know if I should be taking more biotin. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Biotin alone is not going to do that for your hair, that's like have a car and not use gas. You need all the healthy foods from Mother Nature, not just biotin. Do you know what's in the biotin?

Biotin - cauliflower, liver, salmon, carrots, bananas, cereals, yeast, and soy flour. Keep in mind that biotin content is reduced when food is cooked or preserved.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t have to approve supplements — no agency in the United States does. Because of inadequate quality control and inspection, supplements contaminated with heavy metals, pesticides, or prescription drugs have been sold to unsuspecting consumers. And FDA rules covering manufacturing quality don’t apply to the companies that supply herbs, vitamins, and other raw ingredients.

Beginning in February 2008, they experienced one symptom after another: diarrhea, joint pain, hair loss, lung problems, and fingernails and toenails that fell off. FDA has received numerous reports of harm associated with the use of these products, including stroke, liver injury, kidney failure, heart palpitations, and death. 3-15-11

Google: MSN "Vitamins Can Do More Harm Than Good."

According Dr. Melissa Piliang, a dermatologist at the Cleveland Clinic. Americans spent an estimated $176 million on hair loss products last year, and chances are some of that money was not well spent. Don’t let charming salon owners, seductive ads or fancy gimmicks convince you otherwise.

CNN, Slate, Consumer Reports, MSN, YAHOO have posted them online for years how people spend $20 billion per year on vitamins and supplements.  According to Everyday Health, here's an article that will tell you why . . . those PRODUCTS by any other name do NOT WORK.  It is false advertisements. Google: Are Supplements Good For You? About 7,430,000 results (0.15 seconds). THEN Google: Are vitamins & supplements good for you? About 4,250,000 results (0.14 seconds) Some can actually shorten your life!

Google: Hair growth caused other men nationwide in class-action lawsuits. About 1,640,000 results (0.10 second.

Best advice from Hollywood's well known hairstylist in the 80's once said: "Keep foods in your mouth and hair products on your hair."

If you've straightened your hair in the past, it may grow slowly or none at all.

Google: "Foods for Healthy Hair".

Think before you do cut your hair to donate.

Go to the Better Business Bureau and search for Locks of Love for example. View report.

Before cutting your hair and donating

them for children under 18 severe burns/CANCER

VICTIMS, please go to the link provided site, and read

more about it. 

According to BBB Wise Giving Alliance Report web site

(see above), "DOES NOT MEET 1 Standard for Charity

Accountability. 

CEO Jennifer Cox annual salary $48, 388 Dec. 2001 to

Nov. 2002.

Hair sales:  $150,719 (Nov. 2002)

Total income: $374.543 (Nov. 2002)

Locks of Love is a SCAM! They get lots of donations,

but only give away a small percentage of wigs, and

that they profit from all the "extra" donations they

get (by selling it and paying themselves big

salaries), and that they are fooling people into

giving their hair to help.

Apparently they are not a true not-for-profit agency.

Chief Executive : James L. Murphy, Executive Director

Compensation*: $61,260

Chair of the Board: Madonna Coffman (as of April 2006)

There are other ways to help with cancer. Example: we raised $50,000 for Sail for the Cure.

Another example: I make tons of fabric flower hair clips & pins, to help support non-profit. I've raised over $1,000 on my own, since March 2011.

take folic acid 5mg