Racer asked in PetsReptiles · 9 years ago

Question about Bearded Dragon live food?

I'm thinking about getting a bearded dragon and everything seems fine except from its diet. How do I get live crickets or locusts? How much are they? I saw a question on here where they said they would breed their own crickets? Please any advice or experience and stories would help a lot!

Harrison

Favorite Answer

dont bother with locusts

feed crickets, superworms & greens everyday

and breeding is a waste of time

just buy a bunch every week and keep them in a holder with cricket food

greens that can be fed everyday and should be - collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive.. and kale can be fed once or twice a week

Hello :) I work at a jack's aquarium in Ohio and have bearded dragons myself. It's true you can buy crickets pretty cheap from a pet store (around 13 cents each). They are also even cheaper from a bait shop. You dont want to give your bearded dragons wax worms ALL THE TIME, wax worms are like candy to them and they are filled with fat, but they make a good treat. Baby beardies will do great on small to medium crickets and small mealworms, you also want to give them leafy greens (collard greens, etc) When the bearded dragon is getting towards adult size you can give them super worms and large crickets (continue giving greens), some people even give their bearded dragons pinkie mice when they are big enough. It is very easy to keep crickets as well, just get a rubber-made container, put holes in it, add some egg carton, cricket drink, and food and just put all your crickets in there! :) Feed the bearded dragon 2 to 3 times a day, and give them as much as they will eat.

Source(s): Works at a pet store and owns bearded dragons
  • Gina

Unless you have a large number of reptiles (like 10 or so dragons), you WILL lose money breeding them. It takes up a lot of space, smells terrible, and is actually pretty difficult. Like crickets can be bought at almost any pet store for pretty cheap. My local store sells 15 for a dollar if you buy them in bulk and then pick them up as you need them. This is usually the way to go, since they don't live that long.

There main diet of live food should be krickets,you can get them pretty cheap at a local pet store like petco or petsmart,most pet store also sell worms you can feed them, I feed my bearded dragon about 10 krickets and 5 worms daily,you should always have fresh veggies for them

Buy them in bulk packs off the internet. I can get 500 small crickets for about £2.19 or 500 medium for £2.50. Its alot cheaper than buying them from the petshop, I mean I can only get about 50 small crickets from my petshop and they are £2.50 per box

• MGJH

You can buy crickets cheap at a pet store

Crickets are annoying and stink.

Raise your own dubai or get silkworms.

• You can try petsmart are petco the have them are smaller petstore sell them 15 for a dollar

BUY THEM AT A STORE THEY SHOULD EAT BY THEMSELF

Source(s): EXPERIENCE