What is a Crash Dump?

my laptop just went to a blue screen that stated something like; "some files have been crash dumped" i did not read everything because i was panicking, i thought my computer was done. My computer re started and is running fine. Also i was only reading news online i had 3 pages open on same tab on google chrome nothing else was running. WTF is Crash Dump?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A crash dump is what your computer does to help programmers to figure out why your computer crashed in the first place. Your computer starts to write to files exactly what was going on and why it crashed.

Most of the time, this is completely useless and just take up space because you are not a programmer and will not be sending these files to a programmer either. If your computer crashes frequently, you can disable the crash dump by doing this:

How to disable dumprep.exe:

Right click on “My Computer,” choose “Properties” from that menu.

Click on “Advanced tab,”

Click the “Error Reporting” button.

Check the “Disable error reporting” box. You may choose to uncheck the the box below it, “But notify me when an error occurs,” if desired.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A crash dump is when the contents of RAM memory and certain parts of the processor are copied to a file. This file is created at the critical point of an error and can be used to debug the problem.

• 4 years ago

forget approximately with regard to the previous answer approximately reinstalling homestead windows. which would be very extreme and you may in trouble-free terms do this if there's no different option. a million. first factor you may do is flow to the administration panel, click on "gadget and maintenance" then click on "gadget". seem for something that declares "stepped forward gadget settings" and click on that. as quickly as you do, flow to the stepped forward tab and click on the putting button for startup and restoration. as quickly as you do this there could be something categorised "gadget failure" uncheck the container that declares immediately restart. this might help you accomplish the 2d step. 2. the subsequent time you get a blue video demonstrate grab in basic terms a splash paper and a pen and write down something that looks like an blunders code, like 0x00000000004d or something that looks like a record call. write all of it down (in trouble-free terms the belongings you cant understand or something that looks like a record call.) the gibberish is what concerns. as quickly as you have written the stuff down then you definately can restart. 3. post the aforementioned gibberish on yahoo solutions and then shall we help inform you what the difficulty is. you may additionally seem it up on microsoft's know-how base 4. on the different hand you may seem on the form log and then locate the blunders code we would desire to help you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.