Dating laws in Canada?

What exactly are the laws for dating in Canada? Age wise..

My cousin is 16 (almost 17) and she wants to date this guy who just turned 20

I think they are great together, hes responsible and all that... I just don't want them to get in trouble.

Sex isn't really the question but you're free to say that too.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

In Ontario Canada it is quite legal for a 16 year old to date and have consensual sex with a 20 year old, as long as the 20 year old is not a person of authority such as a teacher or coach.

Believe it or not it is quite legal for a 12 year old to have consensual sex, as long as the other person is less than 2 years older.

Source(s): Web site. Justice for children and youth.

A simple answer for you? If you touch each other, it's not legal. You are between the ages of 12 and 16 and he is NOT within 2 years of age. Therefore, any action between you two deemed to be sexual (that includes kissing) could be considered illegal if someone decides to press charges. I have some quick advice for you. I'm not saying don't date the guy...but he's 22 years old and he's dating a 15 year old. This guy can't be a normal, nice guy. I'm not saying youre too young, I'm saying he's too old. It's really weird for him to be dating a 15 year old and that says something about his character that i don't think you should be finding even remotely attractive, let alone falling in love with. Basically, you're relationship is not exactly legal, and your boyfriend is probably a creep. I'm sorry that I have to tell you these things.

• bw022

There are no laws against dating. The age of conscent in Canada is 16, with various close-in-age exceptions of those 12 through 15. However, that is only for sexual contact.

If he is responsible, he should take the first opportunity to meet her parents. It's avoids the parents finding out themselves and thinking that they were hiding the relationship because there was something wrong with it. While there isn't much they can do -- police or courts likely don't want to get involved with custodial interference, corruption of a minor, or restraining orders if she is nearly 17. However, it's likely a smart thing to do.

She's legal.

Canada is a progressive and liberal country.

Our consent age is 16, but we understand that the AOC law is to protect minors from pervs, not criminalize them for have intercourse. In Canada, we allow a 5 year close in age exception provided both partners are above 14. So a 16 and 21 year old is the max allowance. This way, minors are not persecuted for engaging in consensual natural activities such as sexual intercourse.

This is not true in other countries I could mention such as the united fascist regime of neo communist america where they claim their AOC laws are to protect minors from adults, but thanks to a lack of close in age exemption and legislation reform, all the AOC down there ends up doing is turning normal 15 year olds into rapists in the laws eyes. THANKS UNCLE SAM.

I'm sure there is no law against dating activities, only sexual activities. So she should be able to date freely anyone of any age she wants.

I'd ask her a question though: What is wrong with this guy that other women closer to his age don't want to date him? Is that something she is okay with? I always wonder about that...