Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

Top 7 movies about drugs and drug addiction?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Requiem For A Dream

A true story about addiction. Based on the novel by Hubert Selby Jr. A mother (played by Ellen Burstyn) becomes addicted to diet pills, her son (played by Jared Leto) along with a laundry list of other drugs addicted to heroin begins dealing with his best friend (Marlon Wayans) until a drought hits the city and everything goes wrong bringing 3 stories together playing Jared Leto's girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly) we see a co-dependent relationship at its worst and her story shows what happens and how far someone will go when the drugs run out.

2. The Basketball Diaries

Based on the late Jim Carroll (died at 60 years of age) a novelist, poet, lead singer in The Jim Carroll Band, public speaker, and much more. Portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio; the film is based upon the actual diary Carroll kept on him as a high school student and a bit older. It follows him and three of his friends (one is played by a young Mark Wahlberg) as they begin using drugs, Despite talents in writing and basketball Carroll is kicked out of school along with Wahlberg's character. It then follows Carroll into hard drug use, selling himself for money,a cameo by Carroll himself, eventually he lands in jail, becomes and stays clean.

3.Trainspotting

Other then putting Ewan McGregor on the map. Also known for its heroin withdrawal scene (won't give anything away), definitely a hard one to sit through.

4. Drugstore Cowboy

I believe Gus Van Sant's first feature length film (I could be wrong here). Starring Matt Dillion, a young Heather Graham, and many others. About a group that goes around stealing from pharmacies, I think this may be the oldest film on my list.

5, Spun

Starring Jason Schwartzman, Brittany Murphy, Mena Survari, Mickey Rourke, and on it goes. Basically the day in the life of a meth addict. The movie originally gave me a panic attack just from all the movement. Directed by the same person who directed the 'Smack My ***** Up' video by 'Prodigy' (didn't know that til recently)

6. Traffic

A modern day look at America's war on drugs told through four separate stories that are connected in one way or another. A conservative politician who's just been appointed as the US drug czar learns that his daughter is a drug addict. A trophy wife struggles to save her husband's drug business, while two DEA agents protect a witness with inside knowledge of the spouse's business. In Mexico, a corrupt, yet dedicated cop struggles with his conscience when he learns that his new boss may not be the anti-drug official he made himself out to be

7. The Salton Sea

After the murder of his beloved wife, Danny Parker is set adrift in a world where nothing is as it seems. On his journey he befriends slacker Jimmy the Finn and becomes involved in rescuing his neighbor Colette from her own demons. Danny is antagonized by undercover narcotics agents and sadistic dealer Pooh-Bear.

others: Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Blow

Source(s): Me
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Best Drug Addiction Movies

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Reservoir Dogs Pulp Fiction Batman Begins 28 Days Later Kill Bill 2 Eastern promises BQ : Dont Have Any New Movie Plans. But I'll Watch Inception Again BQ 2 - Hopefully Yes.

• 10 years ago

The Basketball Diaries

Scarface

Jungle Fever

Menace II Society

The Fighter

Blow

American Gangster

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Todd G
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

The Doors

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Half Baked

Pineapple Express

Grandmas Boy

Mushrooms

All Cheech and Chong Movies

• 10 years ago

Requeim for a Dream

Trainspotting

Basketball Diaries

Scarface

Spun

The Rules of Attraction

Less Than Zero

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

"Lady Sings the Blues" is about the singer Billie Holiday and her drug addiction and fame

• 10 years ago

1 requiem for a dream

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

So many valid replies already for this

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.