Do pregnant mothers in shelter get priority when it comes to section 8 in Sonoma county?

If they were already on the list. It is my understanding that the veterans are at the top of the list. Please, no smart alecs, answer if you know something specifically about the system in said county. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

No I'm sorry, a pregnant mother residing in a shelter that was already on the list would not receive a priority for that reason in Sonoma County. Each County may set certain preference points for their waiting list and Sonoma only gives preference points to Veteran's, Current residents or persons working in the jurisdiction of Sonoma County HA, Persons with disabilities, seniors, and families with minor children, and the date and time the application is received.

So she may receive a preference point if she resides in that county and she would receive another one once her child was born. She would need to report her child's birth and provide a copy of the birth certificate and SS card in order to receive that preference.

It is also very important that if she is in a shelter that she provide the Housing Authority with a good mailing address. The Housing Authority will contact her by mail when she reaches the top of the waiting list and if the Housing Authority does not receive a response they will remove her from the list.

Since you mentioned Sonoma county you may also want to consider the Housing Authority of the City of Napa, City of Fairfield Housing Authority, City of Benicia Housing Authority, City of Vallejo Housing Authority, Suisun City Housing Authority, Contra Costa County Housing Authority, and Sacramento Housing Redevelopment Agency.

Source(s): 20 years working for the Section 8 program http://www.sonoma-county.org/cdc/s8waitlist.htm
  • Kini

I got my Section 8 voucher from Sonoma county (Santa Rosa) in 2006. You would get priority as a homeless woman with a child except for one problem: Sonoma County Housing is closed to ALL new applications. I didnt live in Sonoma county but my own county was closed when I appled in Sonoma. I suggest trying another county like Lake, Mendocino, Napa or up north because the Bay Area counties are pretty much closed.

Families, seniors and disabled ONLY can apply for Section 8 now. Your priority would be because you are in a shelter, or homeless, not because you have a child because most people on the Sec 8 waitlist have children. Sonoma county has good social services and they might have some alternative to waiting for Section 8 housing. I found one link that might help you find housing.

Women with children get section 8 priority EVERYWHERE.