Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 10 years ago

What are the early symptoms of Mutiple Sclerosis?

I am wanting to know what are the Early symptoms of MS? I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Syndrome in 1999 at the age of 28, It started ot as light tremors and has progressed slowly. One of my doctor's told me on my last check-up that he thinks it's possible that I have MS. I have lost alot of weight, I can't sleep more than two hours a night , I have pain in my hips, shoulders, elbows, and both legs & knees. I feel exhuasted constantly and I my eyes have gotten weak (vision loss) and I have been having migraine headaches (something I've never had before) with severe weakness in my legs and arms (tremors in my legs when I am standing and sitting). Im sorry for so many questions I just would like to get some of your comments to hopefully find out what's going on with my body. Thanks for your time & Have a Great day, Shane

• Mags
    Favorite Answer

Shane, as you already know, your symptoms suggest that you probably don't have Parkinson's disease despite the fact that MS and PD often have similar early symptoms. The fact that you condition is bilateral rather than unilateral suggests that you don't have another parkinsonian syndrome, you could indeed have MS. Whatever you have, the 1999 diagnosis was probably incorrect.

WebMD has a helpful list which has already been provided for you so that you know your tingling (sometimes developing into tremor), muscle weakness, blurred or double vision, fatigue, pain, and even migraine or cluster headaches are all MS symptoms. The weight loss could actually be due to stress.

Although you don't appear to have all of the risk factors, you have some. Apparently you are not a female but you were between 16-40 when you became symptomatic. Another question you asked suggests that there is a hormone imbalance as well.

You also indicated in another answer that you have had severe head trauma known cause lesions which contribute to both PD and to the headaches of MS.

Lab tests won't tell you if you have Parkinson's disease but they will rule out or lead to diagnosis of another condition such as Multiple Systems Atrophy (MSA); Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) Benign Essential Tremor (a hereditary condition so you need to look at family medical history); ALS, Normal PRessure Hydrocephalus' Striato-Nigral degeneration which is actually a form of MSA, Pseudobulbar Palsy which is a bilateral impairment of the lower cranial nerves 9,10,11,12 due to upper motor lesions, Wilson's disease (blood tests and physical observation first for dx) Hallervorden Spatz and Olivopontocerebellar Degeneration (OPCD) and of course Huntington's disease. For more possibilities, see the link below:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/diagnosingms.html

There is no way for us to look at your symptom list and determine the problem except that you might have been on the wrong meds for 12 years. I hope that your treatment regimen included exercise.

After the doc told you that he thought you had MS, what else did he say? DId he schedule the lab tests? MRI, Spinal Tap which might identify other conditions mentioned above; blood tests,to rule out inflammatory diseases? MS is difficult to diagnose Was this doctor your neurologist?

I actually think that your question wasn't long enough. If you can, prepare a journal of your symptoms in chronological order. Include also the year(s) you had head injuries, medications, illnesses. I think it might be easier to get an accurate diagnosis if you create a visual word picture.

Although there is no cure for MS, if that is what you have, there are treatments

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/multiple-sclerosi...

And if you have something else, you need to begin treatment for that. Your weight loss is not a good sign, neither is your sleep disorder nor your vision loss.

Best Wishes

Source(s): CO-administrator http://parkinsonsfocustoday.blogspot.com/

Multiple sclerosis is one of the most debilitating and discouraging conditions anyone can have. Waking up day after day knowing you are stricken with MS that gradually drags you, healthy young person, toward chronic illness and maybe shorter life. Suddenly you no longer expect to enjoy many of life's greatest experiences. The inside story on Dr. Gary remarkable Multiple Sclerosis cure

Read on to discover what really causes your multiple sclerosis!

the important anxious process controls so much of the frame's functioning and alot of this passes by way of whatever referred to as the white subject, ms is wherein the white subject is attacked, signs are blurred imaginative and prescient, lack of colored imaginative and prescient and can result in whole blindness, additionally muscle weak spot, muscle spasms, lack of co-ordination, foot dragging, in case your buddy has many lesions at the mind, or was once identified after forty, or has lower than a yr period among her first 2 relapses then it feels like she has essentially the most critical type, however with ms you'll on no account expect what's going to occur you particularly need to take sooner or later at a time, i'm a nurse within the UK on an ms ward

Tingling and Numbness -- A common area is off the trigeminal branch in the face,.. aka: The chin.

But happens throughout the body.

Weakness -- often greater in mid afternoon.

Visual degredation,.. often blurring and graying of vision.

Tremor

Slurring of speech.

Memory impairment.

Slower cognitive ability/thinking.

Dizziness.

You should have regular imaging for lesions of course, I wish you all the best.

The best way to find out is to have a CAT or MRI scan to see what's going on. White spots will show on the brain like lesions.