How does ant bait work?

I dont really understand it, but I want to use it because we have a huge ant problem. The ants are super small and brown, but theres a lot of them. Or at least a lot to me. But we also have a dwarf hamster so would ant bait be safe for that too? The ants got in her cage so I need to figure that out too. Also, where would I buy said ant bait? I've heard Home Depot, is that right? And another thing, would these ants harm my hamster? I mean, I kinda dont want her to be irritated.

Favorite Answer

The ants will take the food back to feed the rest of the colony and the queen with it and she will die, and their populations shall dwindle down and die out. Clean out your hamsters cage and place some where higher, and once she is out of the room spray the bug poison with the windows open. Keep her in that place where you put her higher up. Now set bates up in the room she was in and that should draw them into that. So they will feed the larvae it the queen the colony and kill themselves. You should see progress over the next 72 hours. I would go to home depot and buy a product called "Terro". Terro works well enough for sugar feeding ant and combat works well for protein feeding ants (they will change their diet depending on what the colony needs).

Source(s): Personel experience with the little critters.
  • erving

Ant Baits That Work

• I have a big infestation of little black ants. I put a ant bait version of the roach motel in the midst of them and they go everywhere but in the motel. I grab individual ants and put them on the entry way to the motel and they run away like Frankenstein is inside the door. They make a bee line AWAY from the ant bait motels.

Now this is just the motels. Not any pure bait. I have tried both Combat motels and Raid's motel. Same thing.

Either I have a breed of Einstein ants in my house or that good ole Big Business is pulling one over on us...again as usual. When I first moved into my house, it was 1987. There was an infestation of roaches. I brought "Roach Prufe". I dusted a few roaches and now after 27 years, there has not been a single roach seen in my house.

I contacted "Roach Prufe." They do not make an "Ant pruf."

I have figured out why. Sadly, after buying these ant motels. It is that for some reason the same theory....the insect takes the bait and takes it back to the colony, really DOES NOT WORK ON ANTS.

I have even tried to make sure my house was super-clean so that there was no other competing food source. No good.

Either these ants are Einstein or whatever is in Combat and Raid ant bait traps just does not attract ants but moreso than that, they seem to be afraid to enter the motel and even when running from my tapping finger, they would prefer to be crushed, as I have done many of them, rather than enter into the entry way.

Of course, if they don't even go into the motel, how can it work?

RE:

How does ant bait work?

I dont really understand it, but I want to use it because we have a huge ant problem. The ants are super small and brown, but theres a lot of them. Or at least a lot to me. But we also have a dwarf hamster so would ant bait be safe for that too? The ants got in her cage so I need to figure that...

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avVtM

Actually it is best if you can have a licensed pest control tech. do the job for you. I work in the pest control field and have done alot of ant jobs. Ants are very sensitive to chemicals and if you put down store-bought pesticides it covers the pheremone trail the ants leave behind, thus scattering them instead of killing them. And the problem with mixing food with something like borax is that ants feed on different types of food at different times of the year. Sometimes it's proteins. Sometimes its sugars. If your afraid of your pets getting into the chemical and getting sick, talk to a pest control tech about applying a granular bait in around the outside of your home, and in cracks and crevices. They may pick up on it rather quickly and it wipes out the entire colony. This works much better than ordinary pesticides that kill only the ones you actually spray the pesticide on. Or if your cat is an indoor cat your tech. may be able to spray a non-repellant around the outside and take care of it too. A non-repellant will not cover the pheremone trail and the ants will walk right through it and they will pass the chemical to any other ant they come into contact with. You also get total colony elimination with a non-repellant.

• Lar

the premise of all the baits are similar...the ants you are seeing in your room is just a small percentage of the over all colony size, so if you kill all of those with a spray, there will be many many more to just take their places. The baits are collected and distributed throughout the colony finally reaching the queen or queens thus killing them along with the workers. Some bait like terro uses borates , the toxin is a stomach poison, other baits may use toxins that effect the nerves actions and others just interfere with the metabolism of insects. one benefit of the baits is that amount of active is extremely minute (I use some the strength is .0005%) so chances of secondary poisoning is almost non existent.

Source(s): me-24th year doing pest control

Raid Ant Gel

Here we go. The bait works for ants like it does the roach bat. The ants share the bait with the other ants and the queen.