Is learning French and Spanish at the same time hard?

I have completed Spanish 1 over the course of two years and I would like to learn French 1 (and possibly go further) in 9th grade, next year.

Will this be too hard/confusing? I really want to succeed really well in Spanish since it's really good for jobs, will learning French at the same time stunt my growth in Spanish?

Favorite Answer

French is easier if you have even that bit of Spanish background, so I'm sure you'll do fine. And you won't get the two confused because they're pretty different.

• Kiley

You should feel good about yourself if you have the confidence to take on two languages at once. As long as you're a decent student you should do well. Right now I am taking Spanish but learning French on my own, but for the school year I'll be learning both Spanish and German (and teaching myself French at the same time). The most important thing is to make sure what you learn relates to the other two languages. You should be able to say something in English and translate it into both Spanish and French. The same with starting with a Spanish or French phrase. Keep it together, you know, not as separate courses. Do that, and you should do fine.

Don't start a new language until you're fairly comfortable with the one you're currently learning, especially if both languages are from the same language family. If you learn both at the same time and you're not fluent in one you WILL end up mixing them. French and Spanish are both romance languages so they are quite similar.

If you can trust yourself enough in Spanish then this will work to your advantage and french will become easier when you decide to learn it.

So it all depends on how well you know spanish/ Is it enough so you won't mix them up...

Source(s): I speak both ;)

there were people in my French class who used to take Spanish and they got mixed up quite often. There are many similar words that are just a little different.

I would reccomend learning one at a time, but you can do both if you want, but you will mix up the 2 at least once.

I plan on learning more languages after I'm fluent in French

Go for it! You may have a talent for language and be able to excel at both. Most languages have common roots and you can learn about words in general. Think about it, there are people who speak several different languages and are fluent in all of them. Some make a living as interpreters. The worst that could happen is if you discover one of them "stunts your growth" in another, and then you can focus on the language that is most used in your area. Good luck!

They are similar though my friend accidently sometimes writes French on her Spanish tests and writes Spanish on her French tests. And she has been learning French for years since she used to live in Canada.

• mikee

I learned to French with a Spanish girl.

Probably not, they're are very similar languages, so it might make it easier to learn french

No, I'm doing it too :)

But I'm in Spanish 3.

It's not that hard, they're both kind of similar actually.

if your a good learner, it will be a little hard with good effort. you might find yourself mixing up french and spanish words though