Why isn't Frank Sinatra considered one of the greats?

Hes not on the Rolling Stone magazine immortals and not on any list but yet he's made so much music and classic hits.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Frank was Big Band and Jazz......maybe that had a lot to do with it

I get a kick out of a lot of these comments about how great Sinatra was, yet these same people will try to degrade Elvis Presley for only writing a few songs. Newsflash, Sinatra never wrote one song, but he was a great performer.

• 10 years ago

Answer: Sinatra was indeed a great artist, with a once-in-a-lifetime voice. But he did not do rock. He was what you might call the classic crooner. I found this description of how Rolling Stone compiled its list:

"The Immortals began last year with the creation of a panel of fifty-five top musicians, historians, industry executives and critics, selected by the editors of Rolling Stone. Voters were asked to pick, in order of preference, the twenty artists they deemed to be the most significant and influential of rock's first fifty years, those whose work continues to have an impact today. More than 125 artists were named. The ballots were tabulated according to a weighted point system that was overseen by the international accounting firm Ernst & Young. "

Note the emphasis on rock. If it were not for this, there are many other greats from the history of music that would have deserved a place at or near the top.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

He is considered one of the greats by a lot of sources. Isn't Rolling Stone supposed to be a rock magazine? Frank isn't really rock, so I wouldn't expect him to be on that list.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Pink Floyd was 50-something on that list. Rolling Stone doesn't know music

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

rolling stone has a record of being wrong about everything. sinatra was one of the greats and a fantastic singer!

• 10 years ago

rolling stone blows...Sinatra is considered a LEGEND by any real music publication. he's not some flavor-of-the-month. Do you think anyone will remember the white stripes 40 years from now???

• в.נ.
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I disagree with every Rolling Stone list.

He's a great artist in my book.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

That list is flat-out awful and ridiculous. They're a bunch of ignorant fools.

Sinatra is easily one of the all-time greats. He wasn't nicknamed "The Voice" for nothing.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Sinatra's overrated, his voice was one dimensional and very unoriginal. But credit due when credit is due The Chairman of The Board was a great stage preformer.

• alissa
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Everyone knows that all of Rolling Stone's "greatest" lists are really warped and basically retarded.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.