Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 9 years ago

FOR KNITTERS AND CROCHET -ERS?

IS THERE SUCH A THING CALLED A KNIT OR CROCHET DICTIONARY? OR TWO IN ONE PERHAPS?

Favorite Answer

What do you mean by dictionary? There are "stitchionaries," or books of pattern stitches. Many different books in fact. Vogue's Stitchionary series, the Harmony Guides, several volumes of assorted stitch patterns from Leisure Arts and similar publishers, and many more.

There are encyclopedia type books with sections on various topics. Vogue just put out their "Knitopedia," Though I prefer their Ultimate Knitting Book for format.

Do you mean a list of definitions of various abbreviations and symbols? You'd find those in about any knitting book. If you need translations for the abbreviations, there are only about a page of them for each craft: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/knit.html

Yes, there are some books that cover both knitting and crochet. Reader's Digest's Complete Book of Needlework is one. Weldon's. The Complete DMC Book of Needlework. Donna Kooler has a pair of books out, "The Encyclopedia of Knitting," and "The Encyclopedia of Crochet," which are both good. Coats & Clark puts out a small paperback that covers knit/crochet/embroidery/tatting: http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Publications... That's the book I actually learned from several decades ago, when there weren't very many books on needle crafts.

Is there one complete reference for all of it? No. I've got shelves of knitting books, each containing information that's in none of the others. Are there good general references available? Sure. Donna's books, Vogue, Buss' Big Book of Knitting, Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook. Sally Mellville's Knitting Experience set.

When I recommend a single reference, it's usually The Knitter's Companion by Vicki Square or the Crocheter's Companion by Nancy Brown. Each book covers the essentials, is accurate, well presented, and the book itself is small enough to travel in a project bag with you.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I have a great crochet book called "handbook of Crochet Stitches by Betty Barnden. This comprises instructions for doing 200 or so different crochet stitches and techniques. It also shows how to do the basic stitches and has a chart comparing UK/US hook sizes.

There are similar books for knitting. Look on Amazon under handicrafts or yarncrafts