I'm really interested in learning how to accompany myself on piano?

I really love to sing, and I've been getting into a lot of local gigs lately. i don't play any instruments, but I've been interested in learning how to accompany myself on piano. I know I only really need to learn chords to be able to accompany myself while singing, but how do I do this? I know how to PLAY chords on piano, but I don't know how to READ chords from sheet music. I was wondering if there's an easy way to learn how to read and play chords on piano to accompany yourself, and could you please tell me the best keyboard to buy for beginners? and if there's a keyboard out there good for accompanying yourself? thanks(:

Favorite Answer

The Yamaha PSR-E223 Portable Keyboard has 61 full-size keys and 375 quality instrument voices including 12 drum kits as well as the interactive Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.) with innovative Listen and Learn capability to help you learn to play keyboards! The LCD display makes it easy to select voices and styles, and displays the music as well as which notes to play on the electronic keyboard. The chord dictionary and built-in metronome will also help you as you learn chords and rhythm, and the headphone jack makes it easy to practice silently. Built-in stereo 2.5-Watts + 2.5-Watts 2 x 12cm speakers sound system.

Sounds like you're great at singing since you're getting all these gigs! Anyway, it's great to have a musical accompaniment, and it's okay if you're not professional or haven't had lessons..it's easy to read chords once you get the hang of it. You can either look up the chord or use a virtual chord page. You can learn new chords using this http://www.onlinepianist.com/chords/ . I use that site a lot to help me with chords. Or you can try to experiment with different notes, and interpret your new chord into a part of the song that sounds good with your singing. You can also incorporate a simple melody. YouTube tutorials are easy to follow most of the time. Good luck!

Many people who want to learn to play the piano are put off by the idea of spending long, boring hours learning music notes. If you are serious about learning to play the piano, the first thing you will need to do is put those negative thoughts behind and start with an open mind. Read here https://tr.im/PianoForAll

It does take time and yes, you have to learn the music notes, but it does not have to be boring, and it certainly does not have to take forever before you learn to play on your own. Follow these seven steps carefully, and you’ll be playing your first songs independently in a very short time.