What does it mean when someone says they are holding a shonda for the goyim?

I think it's Hebrew or Yiddish in origin, but I'm not familiar with the vocabulary.

Update:

Murzy: Does that mean someone is "holding" (feeling) shame for someone who is not Jewish?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a criticism\admonishment from one Jew to another. It means that the person saying it thinks the person s\he's saying it to is acting in an embarrassing way; ie. is making an embarrassment (shanda) of themselves (and possibly Jews in general) in the eyes of the non-Jews (goyim).

Nowadays, it's usually used in a humorous fashion. So if you heard it on TV (like on Seinfeld), it's probably a joke.

===

It's a Yiddish expression, although the word "goyim" is technically Hebrew.

"Holding" is used as a corrupted Yiddish-ism (from "haltn" which means “to be in the middle of or up to something”) by some American speakers of Yiddish, but it's not used in the above phrase\context. I think you misheard it.

Source(s): Jewish
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does it mean when someone says they are holding a shonda for the goyim?

I think it's Hebrew or Yiddish in origin, but I'm not familiar with the vocabulary.

Source(s): holding shonda goyim: https://biturl.im/5vz4E
  • 4 years ago

If you should be exploring a powerful way to help your child understand to see while preventing any potential pitfalls along the way then this program https://tr.im/Wit6w is that which you need.

Children Learning Reading program is split in to two areas which are both sent in split up eBook s. Having acquired the program you're provided quick usage of each of the eBook s so you can use the program almost instantly after investing in it.

Children Learning Reading is user friendly for you personally and for your youngster, with little lesson and games this system is ideal to instruct how to learn for a small child.

• 3 years ago

Shonda Definition

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

shonda = shame

goyim = non Jews

• 3 years ago

A Shonda

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.