Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

if you were born elsewhere, do you think your religion and spirituality would differ?

if you are atheist, do you think you would still be atheist if you were born in a theocracy like saudi arabia?

if you are christian, do you think you would still be christan if you were born into a jewish family?

etc.

Favorite Answer

This is really a nature vs nurture argument I guess!

I'm an atheist, but was previously Christian. Would I have been a Muslim if born in the middle-east? Probably. Social and Cultural factors are a powerful, powerful influence. I'm just glad I live in a country where I can have whatever religious views I want.

I probably wouldn't be an atheist if I was born in Saudi Arabia, I'd be too scared of being stoned to death. Saudi Arabia is ****** up.

If I was born into a different country that values science, I'd still be an atheist because of my interest in science (assuming I'm still the same person).

If I was born the same person I am then yes, I would be a Christian. My mother was a Buddhist who turned to Christianity when she was 80.

Edit: By the way, like Hellova, I too was born in a different country.

• Demi

Well, of course. My faith is highly cultural and faiths from outside my own culture make no sense to me at all. I view them rather negatively when they dare tread where they do not belong - outside of THEIR culture. Since this seems to be hardwired into most people as a survival mechanism going back to our caveman days, there is no doubt in my mind if I had NOT been born into a Heathen family in a Nordic country there is no way I'd be one of the Heathenfolk but rather I would be the cultural faith of the region into which I was born.

Source(s): Forn Sed Nordic Heathen
  • Sandi

I was born in a different country, I now live in the southern states of the US. I am still an atheist, probably even more so.

Source(s): I am not a sheeple.
  • Dylan

I couldn't tell you as I wasn't born in a different situation.

Maybe, maybe not, there is no way to tell.

Well, it's easier said than done. I can visualize it and say "I'll never change!" but the reality might be totally different.

• ?

No, I think I would have always found Jesus regardless of my upbringing.