what is the difference between OCD and tourette's syndrome?

i know i have one of them, i'm just not sure.i know that for it to be tourette's i have to have a vocal tic, i'm not sure about this either, i usually just blurt out random words in my head when i'm trying to focus but i don't think that qualifies as a vocal tic. please give the best answer.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Julia
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Understanding Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a serious anxiety-related condition where a person experiences frequent intrusive and unwelcome obsessional thoughts, often followed by repetitive compulsions, impulses or urges.

In general, OCD sufferers experience obsessions which take the form of persistent and uncontrollable thoughts, images, impulses, worries, fears or doubts. They are often intrusive, unwanted, disturbing, significantly interfere with the ability to function on a day-to-day basis as they are incredibly difficult to ignore. People with OCD often realise that their obsessional thoughts are irrational, but they believe the only way to relieve the anxiety caused by them is to perform compulsive behaviours, often to prevent perceived harm happening to themselves or, more often than not, to a loved one.

Compulsions are repetitive physical behaviours and actions or mental thought rituals that are performed over and over again in an attempt to relieve the anxiety caused by the obsessional thoughts. Avoidance of places or situations to prevent triggering these obsessive thoughts is also considered to be a compulsion. But unfortunately, any relief that the compulsive behaviours provide is only temporary and short lived, and often reinforces the original obsession, creating a gradual worsening cycle of the OCD.

http://www.ocduk.org/ocd

About Tourette Syndrome (TS)

TS is an inherited neurological condition. It affects one schoolchild in every hundred and more than 300,000 children and adults in the UK. The key feature is tics, involuntary and uncontrollable sounds and movements.

TS is sometimes known as multiple tic disorder or tic spectrum disorder.

Symptoms

The symptoms of Tourette Syndrome (TS) are tics, repeated movements and sounds. It is important to understand that these are chronic (long-term) and involuntary. Someone with TS may be able to suppress them for a period but eventually they have to let the tics out.

Tics usually start in childhood around the age of seven, and are usually worst between 10-12 years. However, in approximately half of TS patients, most symptoms disappear by the age of 18. TS is a persistent disorder but not always greatly disabling.

The first tics often start around the head and face, like blinking and/or grimacing. Vocal tics tend to appear later, around age 11. The different symptoms can be simple, such as blinking, or complex, like touching or jumping. Examples of vocal tics besides uttering words or making sounds are throat clearing, sniffing and/or coughing.

Even within the same person, the tics vary in many ways:

- they wax and wane; they get better and worse over time

- they change; one tic stops and another starts

- they may be made worse by stress and anxiety

- they may be alleviated with relaxation or concentration on an absorbing task

These changes are completely unpredictable. However, just before a tic is about to happen it is common to experience so called premonitory sensations. These sensations can be either localised - in the area where the tic is about to happen - or generalised. It is often very difficult, even for family, friends, teachers and employers of a person with TS, to believe that their actions or vocal utterances are involuntary, but they are.

http://www.tourettes-action.org.uk/symptoms/

• M
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Well there's actually a big difference. OCD is an anxiety disorder, so it's not exactly a 'neurological' problem. Tourette's, on the other hand, IS a neurological disorder. Tourette syndrome is not an anxiety disorder.

OCD is where you get thoughts stuck in your head. These are called 'obsessions'. You find it difficult to stop thinking about something and the only way to reduce the anxiety caused is to do something like tap the table three times or check things. These are called 'compulsions'. Of course, people with OCD know that this is ridiculous, but it's the only way to feel less anxious.

Tourette syndrome is a tic disorder. It means that signals misfire in the brain causing your body to make movements and sounds - tics. Many people with tourette's actually have OCD also, but they are not the same thing. Tourette syndrome doesn't mean you blurt out things. Motor tics include twitches, arm jerking and blinking alot. Some vocal tics could be humming, sniffing or breathing funny.

I don't think you have OCD or tourette's. It could be a symptom of ADD, but it sounds a little more like a habit? I guess it depends on how old you are, when it started, how hard it is to stop it, etc.

Source(s): I have TS
  • 4 years ago

Tourettes And Ocd

• Melody
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

OCD: Obsessions: repetitive, distressing, images, thoughts, and feelings of anxiety

Compulsions: specific behaviours one engages in to lessen the anxiety

Tourette Syndrome: causes sudden, repetitive short-lived busts of movement and speech called motor and vocal tics; tics often have an unpleasant sensation occuring briefly beforehand such as a feeling of tension in the body part about to tic. The tic relieves this urge for a short time.

As for blurting random words when you try to focus; it sounds like a habit. Neither compulsions in OCD or tics in Tourette are confined to a specific state of mind or activity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the difference between OCD and tourette's syndrome?

i know i have one of them, i'm just not sure.i know that for it to be tourette's i have to have a vocal tic, i'm not sure about this either, i usually just blurt out random words in my head when i'm trying to focus but i don't think that qualifies as a vocal tic. please give the...

Source(s): difference ocd tourette 39 syndrome: https://tr.im/ge8VJ
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.