I have a hippie mom, and I need help!?

First of all, I love my mom to death. She is amazing .

Well my moms a bit on the free spirited side (organic food, incense, communicating with the dead, etc.) and she has always been. Whole Foods and Farmers Markets are like her vice. She wears Indian skirts, peasant tops, scarves, and cowboy boots. She has long, unkept blonde hair, and looks a lot like a mix between Marilyn Monroe and Lisa Kudrow. I however, take after my father, dark hair and a deeper complexion. She is a Wiccan and wears her pentacle, prays before she eats, and has an altar. Her and her hippie friends are part of a coven of 9 people. She despises materialistic a things and is extremely liberal. Plus she believes all things should have a natural death. We have had the same Subaru Outback for ten years. She has a $9 cellphone, too. Whenever my friend Lexie comes over for dinner, my mom cooks some weird stuff and prays to the God and Goddess. Believe me, I've got some pretty weird looks. I am not trying to act like a mean, ungrateful brat, but it would kill me to tell her this. Were very different, and I guess she just scares people away. Anything I can do or say?

Favorite Answer

Your mum sounds awesome!

I know, it doesn't seem fun having her as a mum, but be thankful your mum is different.

But just tell her, if you have to, that you don't want to be like her. You want materialistic things, you want to eat what you want.

You don't have to invite your friends to your house, though. You could go camping as a sleepover, or just go out somewhere instead of going to your house.

:)

• Ian69

1. Don't worry about it. She loves you, right? These things only matter when everything is going OK. If you had a serious illness, do you think you'd care about any of this? You'd just be happy she looks after you. If your mom was seriously ill, do you think you'd care about any of this? This is trivia, believe me. Focus on what matters.

2. Your friends may be echoing your reactions. If you asked them then you'd probably find they think your mum is interesting and way more fun than their boring parents.

3. Don't worry about things. Does your mom have debt? No, I thought not. Debt is a serious serious cause of stress and misery in families. Your mom is cleverer than that.

4. You think she's imperfect? Well she sounds great, if odd. Now trust me that your going to be pretty imperfect too, in several different ways and maybe some of the same. And if your daughter loves you and thinks you're amazing, well that is all that matters. The rest of it doesn't.

It just goes to show you the diversity in Wicca.

I'm a Wiccan mom-- my oldest is 21.

I'm a Republican, T-shirt & shorts wearing Florida soccer mom, we eat healthy balanced meals (nothing odd or organic-- I shop at supermarkets or produce stands) and I don't have big issue with material things, I just hate waste and am frugal for practical reasons. I don't have a cell phone because gadgets frustrate me for the most part, though my husband forces me to keep one in the house for emergencies, lol.

And I'm sure I embarrass the hell out of my teens, too.

Why? Because every teen is embarrassed by their parents at some point.

We get along great with them, and yes my husband is Pagan so we do have a Pagan household and go to a UU church and all.

So all sounds normal to me.

The only thing you might want to talk to your mom about is that not everyone is comfortable with different religions. Even if a Pagan went to a Christian friend's house for dinner, it might be just as uncomfortable for that kid to sit if the dad decided to do a Bible reading before dinner, or a Jewish friend's house if the parent began doing a Jewish blessing over foods an atheist kid might feel uncomfortable. It's just natural.

Not that she shouldn't practice her own beliefs, it's great to just be yourself and walk to the beat of your own drum, but the problem comes when the line is crossed from being comfortable with who you are, and putting on a show for others. Does your mom maybe have a bit of a flair for drama? Maybe just ask her to reign that in a little, even though you love who she is. Maybe ask her to pray privately at meal times when guests are there... there's no need to make a production of it in front of other kids.

There are times when my kids have asked me to back off; and as teens I understand they need space, so if it's reasonable, I do. No hard feelings.

you mom sounds like a lot of parents that I know :)

Since you love your mom and it sounds like you respect her greatly, why not try to embrace her 'quirkiness' when your friends come over? No, you are not expected to like or agree with everything that your parents do. perhaps you can talk to your mom and say something like, "mom, I think that you are a really great person and the things that you do are way cool, but dome of my friends think its weird...is there something cool that you could teach them when they come over? Maybe some neat things with food..." Im sure that your mom would love the input from you, and on the flip side, your friends may really enjoy learning some off-the-wall 'thing' from your mom. Give it a try. I think you are way lucky to have a parent like that. Mine are soooo square. Be well!

Well if you love your mum that much, and if she's happy, why are you trying to change that? Just dont worry about it ! And if any of your friends laugh at the way she is, just tell them that every one is diffrent and they can be who ever they want to be, as long as she isnt hurting anybody than its fine for her to be that way, its her life, she can live it the way she wants, I hope ive helped :)

you will look back in years to come and think how cool your mum really was.But you sound like you are at the age where you wanna fit in why not suggest you cook something when your friends come over so they will have something you think they would like i would love to have a mum like yours that is happy to follow what she believes in and not a mindless sheep going with the flock.

• Leah

Your mom is living her life.

She likes it and you have no right to bash her beliefs, I wish my mom was that cool.

But if your dead set on changing your mother for your purposes. Then suggest that she gets a haircut, and treat herself to an enviormentally friendly phone.

Note: Enviromentally friendly is key, say her phone is harming the planet.

Love you mum for who she is!

If your friends cant accept this then maybe its time to move on and find new friends.

She is just doing what she enjoys and being happy and that exactly what you should do!!

Dont change her to something which you want and would love...keep her for what she already is and should love xxx

• pavick

Make her those specific "truffles" which you do not get to consume... properly, if she is a pot smoking, left wing, tree hugging, liberal vote casting, Socialist Democrat, she in all risk already made you consume them once you have been youthful.

It natural to be embarrassed by your parents, I think everyone goes through this. Thats life.