Why do most Americans refuse to admit the US lost the war of 1812?

I mean there is no way it can be called a US victory. Americas invasion of Canada was defeated and Washington DC burnt down. America achieved non of its aims whilst Britain achieved all of them. Also impressment didn't end as a result of the war of 1812, it ended because the Napoleonic wars in Europe ended.

Favorite Answer

Neither side won. America lost though. The only reason the treaty was rushed and war reparations not wanted was because it was simply an inconvenience that cost almost nothing in the grand scheme of things, and we wanted to end the inconvenience.

And I can go on about how Americans were late into both World Wars and how the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians and the Frenchies won most of it. But I won't, because otherwise Yanks will realise how useless they are and then I won't have any arguments...

• Zant

It is not a US victory, nor was it a British one. The most the Americans can boast about is New Orleans, we can boast about Washington. In the end, the US did not achieve its objectives, both sides signed a peace treaty, and have not fought each other since, being both excellent trade and military partners. That's it, the end. We are allies now,move on.

Ed: Best Country: Your $12 Trillion in debt, unemployment on the rise and a health 'service' that makes the one in Somalia look good. Strongest Country: You couldn't defeat the Viet Cong, you can't defeat the Taliban and you haven't fought and won a major war in your history by yourselves. Best educated: the top most intelligent countries are Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore and Japan, Britain is 12th, America is 22nd. And with the sole exception of America, no country has ever forced the British Empire out, Britain ensured these nations could secure their futures, and then allowed democratic elections. Next time check you facts.

John D: How is this a hate post? I like Americans, I have respect for your country and acknowledge the alliance between our nations as mutually beneficial. I was only pointing out the the flaws in the post made by someone else. I know the NHS isn't brilliant, but still at least I know that if I break my leg, it isn't going to cost me a small fortune. I never said the British had any better luck against the IRA or today with the Taliban. Yes we had a few weeks were we suffered bad casualties, yes we have made little progress, but as you say, neither have the Americans. And the 'rag-tag' colonists thing? Trained and equipped by the French, and your general, Washington, was better than our generals, who were useless to be honest.

• Both the British and the Americans conveniently ignore the actions on the Western Front, which is really what the war was about (control of the Ohio River valley). These actions were mainly fought by Indian tribes acting as surrogates for the British and the Americans, under the leadership of commanders from each side. The American Indians trounced the British Indians so the British could not maintain hegemony in this area, thus the British ceded the war.

edit

WorldPeace: Not only did The Battle of New Orleans take place AFTER the Treaty of Ghent had been signed, it took place after the U.S. Government had confirmation of the signing (this information reached Jackson etc, too late to call off the battle, but the battle had no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the war: The war was already over)

• Robin

It is commonly accepted that it was a draw. Since the war was over the British stopping American ships at sea and taking off seamen for the British navy, and the British stopped doing so, you could say the Americans got what they wanted. Victory in battle does not mean you win a war.

The Battle i remember was the Battle of Fort Bowyer where the US army Surrendered to the British this was the last decisive Battle in the war of 1812

and If the British wanted the USA the 17000 troops that arrived to deliver the News that the peace treaty sought by the USA was signed and the war was over

Generosity is Not a sign of Weakness the USA failed to annex canada so the Ultimate Winners are the Canadians they are Not American

that concludes today's History lesson with true American Historical Fact

Thumbs me down who cares My country still has a AAA rating with No help from anyone But ourselves thank you

Ed: inbred? have you seen deliverance?! strongest? hardly, china has a larger army and russia has more nukes. best educated? not according to the UN its not, that title belongs to the nordic countries. I also think you'll find we let the empire go due to the high interest loans from america during both world wars that made keeping it together unprofitable. America profiteering from war? unthinkable lol!

John d, the IRA hasn't existed since after ww2, i think you mean the PIRA, that little terrorist group you yanks were funding throughout the eighties via NORAID. Ironic isn't it, we get involved in iraq and Afghanistan to back you lot up even though it was nothing to do with us and you lot ermed and ahhhed about providing the most basic support in the falklands and allowed your citizens to fundraise for a terrorist group on our shores! as for rag tag colonist, i see you leave out the fact that you had the french and spanish on your side, yanks always seem to conveniently forget to add that gem of a fact....

• Rufus

In 1814 we took a little trip

Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans

And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.

There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more and they began to runnin' on

Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.

And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.

They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.

We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise

If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye

We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.

Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles

And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.

They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.

So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.

We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind

And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

I doubt most Americans even know what the war of 1812 was. If they do, they probably only remember the White House got torched and Dolly Madison saved some paintings.

"Why do most Americans refuse to admit the US lost the war of 1812?"

Why does Yahoo allow users to question opinions only held by vaguely defined parties as "most Americans" or "Most liberals" or "Many NeoCons".

The easiest way to win an argunent is to stretch 1) what the other side says (or even worse, believes) and 2) who that other side even is.

I will say this. Of those I know who have any opinion of the war, the general assessment is that the war was an embarassment that both sides regret, neither having well defined goals.

• Guy

Dose not matter. America has gone bust. It is bankrupt. It has been living its dreams on loans from other countries including Britain to the tune of $200 billion. China is the new super power & India is not far behind. As they say the higher up the ladder you are the further you have to fall & America is going to fall a long way. Lets see how Hollywood re writes this particular piece of history.

@Ed:- You have just LOST yet another war with Afghanistan & Iraq. You are Skint & you have just had your credit rating dropped to AA. Yea America is the country & your the MAN.... LOL!