Sulik asked in PetsReptiles · 9 years ago

Can Turtles live with tap water?

i just got a baby red slider turtle from downtown and i was wondering if it could live on tap water without any filters or anything but with me cleaning it every other day?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

it doesn't need a filter if you clean it everyday, but i would suggest it because it doesnt need it, but it helps YOU so u don't have to clean it that much. but you need turtle conditioner, it looks like a white block. without it, the chlorine and possibly chloramine(stays in water after leaving it overnight) can cause your turtle to have breathing problems and a soft shell.

basically a turtle needs,

-conditioner,

-food,

-a place to bask (with natural light or artificial UV),

-clean tank ( I suggest using a filter)

-a tank is suitable for its size

and thats it

pretty easy, make sure you have the basics, anything not on this list is optional

like a heater(but if it is indoors your turtle should be okay, just make sure the water is not to cold). good luck, turtle are a bunch of fun

Source(s): turdle keeper
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Yes. I have owned turtles for many, many years and have always used tap water and I have never bothered to use any chemicals in it to remove the chlorine.

• 9 years ago

Sure. If you can smell the chlorine in your tap water, let it stand overnight in an open container before splashing it into the turtle tank.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You can have tap water but make sure to add water conditioner to remove chlorine and other chemicals that tap water has. They can live without a filter but I recommend getting one because they're very messy. Dont forget that they also need a

Heater

Dock(To bask)

Heat lamp

UVB light

Thermometer

Hope this helps!!!

Source(s): Me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, you could, but keep the water warm, and but something in there so he's not always swimming. Stack some rocks up or something :)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Eat the turtle. Survie.

Source(s): SAS training.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.