Corruption of the American dream?

I'm trying to finish up my summer reading for school and one of the things I must do is find 3 quotes per book that show the idea of the corruption of the American dream. Does anyone have a general example of what a corruption of the American dream could be? I guess I'm just confused what exactly they're looking for. Thanks.

I'm reading The Great Gatsby, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Outliers.

Best Answer

Ooooh are you reading Death of a Salesman?

Basically the American Dream is that anyone, no matter their background or social status, can become successful (good money, good job, good family, etc.)

Corruption would include stuff like people becoming drug dealers and getting the good money/family/etc. of the Dream through their bad work OR being delusional about their own success OR being overly materialistic.

Check out http://www.unc.edu/~jwladyb/Gatsby.pdf for other stuff I don't think I covered!

Read Upton Sinclare's the Jungle. It's about an immigrant who comes to America from eastern Europe in search of the American dream, but he realizes it doesn't exist when all he can get for work is the awful jobs in the meat packing plants. Not to mention everyone is out to con him, since he is naive about this country and people's true intentions.