Do you like newer Doctor Who with McGann, Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith?

I heavily sympathise with those who feel the show has been ruined. The show is all about special effects and pretty people, with saccharine scripts and serious overacting. The scripts aren't all that well-written, even when they come from masters like Neil Gaiman and Mark Gattiss. The show isn't fun anymore, the stories are boring. I thought Ecclestone was a fine actor but I wasn't much of a Tennant fan and I've never really understood why he's as popular as he is, he's pompous and silly. I like Karen Gillan, with her good looks and her feisty personality. I've like some of their newer episodes because they are more of a return to the simpler style of earlier Dr. Who but they are still not phenomenal to me. I still think new Dr. Who is OK, I just don't think its a patch on the old Dr. Who.

I agree with this guy from imdb, or at least I get where he's coming from.

16 out of 30 people found the following review useful:

Ghastly mistake, 9 July 2005

Author: gordon451 from East Victoria Park, Western Australia

No.

I'm sorry, this resurrection was -- is -- one of the worst mistakes I have seen in TV.

I watched the first 3 episodes with growing dismay. I thought "Surely they must get better!" Except they didn't.

Dr Who was NOT a mishmash of the worst aspects of Star Trek (TV) and Monty Python (TV). But this parody is. It doesn't even have the intelligence and care those wonderful programs incorporated, let alone the commitment to quality the original Dr. Who serials showed. I won't catalog all the wrongs in the 3 episodes, because 1,000 words is not enough.

If the makers of this disaster wish to be remembered favourably, they should immediately and permanently remove the series from the air and apologise to all the viewers.

1 out of ten.

Favorite Answer

I didn't like the RTD era at all. he made it a bit like a sci-fi soap opera with everybody kissing and crying and it always being set on earth and the use of the daleks in EVERY.SINGLE.SERIES. although there was some really good episodes from that era. the moffat era is returning to the style of horror from the hinchcliffe era, but now there isnt any mary whitehouse to complain (YES). frankly I dont mind it, I think the classic series and the new series are just as good as each other.

Oh, and by the way the Eight Doctor is generally considered to be a classic series doctor by most whovians because big finish use him and the other classic doctors so.... yeah.

• ?

I love the new series. I have only seen snippets of the original series. And it didn't make me want to watch more.

I wasn't a fan of the first season, I skipped half of it to get to the David Tenant incarnation, but I once I started watching season 5, I fell in love with it. It may be that Karren Gillian is really attractive and its blinding me from flaws in the show, but I love it. I do have some issues, that the rules of the world don't seem to be very established and seem to bend to fit the story.

Its not the greatest sci-fi I have seen, but its one of the few shows I genuinely love that hasn't been canceled.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

R.I.P

Firefly 9

Dollhouse 8

Angel 9

Pushing Daises 9

The Unusuals 10

Not much. Weak attempts at satire. Strange choices to play villains - cosy twinset and pearls women who don't feel intimidating enough, or else comedians. Speeches going on too long.