CCG asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 8 years ago

would you consider H2 as atom or molecule?

Help. I am getting frustrated with the different definitions I've come across with. So, in an element there's the same kind of atoms and each element has different amount of atoms.. am i right?

and also, if there's two hydrogen atoms, would you call it still an atom or a molecule? and when two different atoms combine, they form a 'compound' (by the way how do they combine?) i just wanna gain a clear understanding between mixture and compound.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Raunak
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have asked so many questions combining them into one single question.

Regarding your main question H2 is a molecule that is diatomic, i.e. the molecule contains two atoms of hydrogen linked by a single covalent bond. If it was written [H] then it would signify that hydrogen is in its atomic state.(i.e. nascent hydrogen)

Now regarding your sub-questions, in an element there is the same kind of atoms and each element has different kind of atoms in them. You cannot include amount of atoms in them as according to Avogadro's Law equal volumes of all gases at the same temperature and pressure would have the same number atoms in them.

Remember that hydrogen in its atomic state is not very stable as its valence shell have only 1 electron. Therefore it shares a pair of electrons with another hydrogen atom to gain stability.

So if there is two hydrogen atoms then it would be a hydrogen molecule .

Also remember that a compound is formed when two or more elements combines in a fixed proportion by mass. For the formation of a compound there are chapters in each and every IX or X chemistry books which you may refer to. I am not including the compound formation due to space constraint.

A mixture is a substance formed when one or more elements or compounds is combined by an indefinite proportion by mass without any chemical force combining them whereas a compound is formed when two elements combine in a definite proportion by mass with chemical forces acting between their corresponding atoms.

A compound has a distinct set of properties and a fixed boiling and melting points independent of those of the combining elements whereas the properties and the boiling and melting points of a mixture is dependent on those of its constituent elements.

Source(s): Education of 11 years.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

would you consider H2 as atom or molecule?

Help. I am getting frustrated with the different definitions I've come across with. So, in an element there's the same kind of atoms and each element has different amount of atoms.. am i right?

and also, if there's two hydrogen atoms, would you call it still an atom or a molecule?...

Source(s): h2 atom molecule: https://tr.im/htOsL
  • 8 years ago

H2 is a molecule.

Hydrogen is a diatomic molecule, meaning that Hydrogen by itself exists as two Hydrogen atoms bonded to eachother.

An easier way to differentiate an atom and a molecule is that an atom is just that, a single atom. A molecule is comprised of more than one atom, hence why H2 is a molecule and not an atom.

• 8 years ago

Element is just the name given for a group of particular kind of atoms. For eg. Fe is an atom of element Iron. H is an atom. When two H atoms combine and form bond, they form a H2 molecule. So, u keep in mind that, if there is only one particle, eg. H, Cl, F etc, it is an atom but when there is a combination of more than one atoms, eg. H2, CaCO3, HCl etc, it is called a molecule. ( The atom and molecule mean the single unit. So, a jar containing H2 gas cannot be said containing 1 H2 molecule). Finally, compound is a substance formed by formation of chemical bonds between atoms. Eg. CaCO3 is a compound of Ca, C and O. However, mixture is a formation made by mixing any two or more substances without any sort of chemical reaction. (Eg. mixing sand and rice gives a mixture, mixing sugar and water gives a mixture.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

H2 is a molecule. Though, it is still the element of hydrogen. The difference between an atom and a molecule is, an atom is by itself. It is not bonded to anything else.

Edit: Don't confuse elements and atoms. An Element is a single atom or a whole bunch of the same thing. When two or more atoms combine, they form a molecule. There are a bunch of different ways atoms can combine, depending on what they are (Covalent bonding, ionic bonding, and metallic bonding)

I'm not sure what you mean by mixtures and compounds. I usually hear the word mixture when talking about solutions and what not.

• 8 years ago

H is an atom which could be bind to another H atom this situation we call it H-H (H2) which is a molecule.

• 8 years ago

H2 is a Molecule,,,

When two or more atoms join together; they make a Molecule. ....

Hydrogen is know as a element, because Hydrogen Gas is made of pure Hydrogen Atom's...

Any substance made purely from only ' one type of Atom ', is known as a element....

Hope this helps..

Source(s): Ref; Uni studies, Science documentarys...
  • 8 years ago

It is a molecule.

I think these are the correct definitions:

Molecule: Atoms of an element bonded, so they are stable (outer energy levels full of electrons)

Atom: An ion (unstable, charged, with different number of protons and neutrons), element (stable, uncharged) or isotope (unstable uncharged, with too many or too little neutrons).

Answer to: 'by the way, how do they combine?'

Two non-metals combine covalently, by sharing electrons to fill their outer energy levels.

A non-metal and a metal have ionic bonds, because they transfer electrons, to fill their outer energy levels.

Two metals have metallic bonds, because they delocalise electrons, so they are free to move around, holding the metal together.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I think gas is molecule.

• I would consider it a cheeseburger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.