Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

If I can pass the bar without law school can I still be a lawyer in New York?

Favorite Answer

Ok, this people obviously have never had anything to do with law school or the ABA. Its mandated by the ABA (people who admit to the bar) that to sit for the BAR exam you have to have a completed jurisdoctorate degree.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awxHx

First of all there is no such thing as a stupid question if the person asking is sincerely seeking an answer...and I find Geraldine to be quite sincere. "No, of course you don’t! Though it’s highly inadvisable (according to the American Bar Association), you can actually sit for the bar in 7 states without going to law school. (Those are California, Maine, New York, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming – just in case you’re taking notes.) But hey, if skipping law school is good enough for Abe Lincoln, Clarence Darrow and My Cousin Vinny, it’s good enough for you, right? Of course, we haven’t mentioned the fine print, yet. If you’re going to ditch law school, you’ll have to apprentice with a lawyer (the same way Honest Abe did), and each state has its own requirements. California, for example, makes you take a “Baby Bar” exam after your first year as an apprentice to make sure you’re learning at the same rate as your law school peers. Vermont, on the other hand, makes you fill out semi-annual progress reports. So in the end, maybe law school is worth the extra bucks. According to the L.A. Times, just 20% of California’s apprentices have passed the bar exam." this is according to Mental_Floss which I find to be quite entertaining as well as knowledgeable. I think that it would improve your chances of getting a job that you want as opposed to a job you can get.

Actually, I don't see why a person couldn't take the Bar Exam AND pass it, even if they never went to a Law School! If a person has enough fortitude to study on their own, they should be allowed to take the exam. There are people who are damn sight smarter than any college graduate!

What I would like to know is these college guys, how many actually HOURS do they put in to their studies? I know they go to lectures, but wouldn't going to actual court cases be just as informative? The Law is a matter of interpretation anyhow. Check out all the cases which are going on right around the country. No two judges think alike - one judge could give the criminal the death penalty, yet in another State, the guy could get off with a slap of the hand. Personally, I don't think we have a FAIR justice system at all! Look at how many murderers are actually walking the streets because they made a deal with the Prosecution!! Nine times out of ten, the victim or his family are usually the losers, These lawyers are bigger crooks than than the perps.

Please disregard whatever Ruth S. said. She clearly has no idea what she's talking about.

Secondly, see Rule 520.4 on this site for the NY rule: http://www.nybarexam.org/Rules/Rules.htm#520.4. Looks like you need at least 1 year of law school.

There are a few other states (Vermont and California are among them) that do not require you to complete law school before taking the bar but, again, you'll want to check their bar admission rules for the details. Also, I think (if I recall correctly), if you graduate law school in Wisconsin, you don't have to take the state bar exam.

• ?

Actually in New York you can partake in law office study after successful completion of one year at an ABA approved Law School. Then you are technically allowed to take the bar.

• ?

You have to check the NY Bar Assn. I don't think you can do that in NY because of their consumer laws, they wouldn't want you licensed with out some formal education. It doesn't have to be a law degree, but something that proves you just know more than how to pass the bar.

the problem is that you can't even sit for the bar without the required education

So NO.. because you won't even be allowed to take the bar exam

Want to know more about this too