143dogs asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

what is the best hamster cage?

i want 1 thats roomy for 1 dwarf hamster, lots of space. not too much of a price tag (my budget's $50), LESS likely to escape, can extend, is fun and colorful for my hammie, and can either be bought at petco or petsmart in the U.S

also- do you know any websites that sell custom built hamster cages in california?

Favorite Answer

hello! i read on a question that we both answered that you are getting a campbell russian dwarf hamster!!!!! I have one of those, and absolutly ADORREEEEEE them!! Their so Fluffehh.!!

Alrighty, to your question!

The most fun, creative cage you could EVER get, is a homemade hand built cage(a bin cage) Here is a link on how to build one

http://www.hamsterhouse.com/forum/index.php?topic=...

I hope that link is blue so you can just click on it. if it isnt i'll have to murder this stupid computer :D. haha. Well it basicly says what you need. and how to do it. I'd recomend a clear bin to build it with, so you can see your hamster, and so it lets in light. probably the most space. and could most definitly make your limit

The most safe, excape proof (but you might not like because you cant really extend it.)

Is the fish tank. 10 gallons is the least you can do for it. but it can go bigger. I take it back, if you spend lots of money... probably this could be the biggest with most space.. but i doubt you would (cause of the 50$ limit).

But for this, you couldnt use the top of the fish tank for the lid, youd have to buy wire mesh (like wire bars) for air to come through.

For an acual cage. that you can buy? Well, The safest from that, is wire sides, wire or plastic top, and plastic bottom. and if it has levels? make sure it is plastic, and not wire, cause wire hurts their feet.

If you looking for a cage you can build off of, youd probably want a crittertail. but please note, the tubes and crap you use to extend it, are a pain in the butt to clean. plus its not very spacious for the hamster. (even though i have a critter tail.. but my hamster spends most of his time during the day (when he's awake) in his ball.. but only when im home, and when i have people over, he's in his playpin (....he found a way to excape the playpin, so i have to watch him extra careful)

hmm. for petsmart and petco, id go to both stores, and well... look at the ones on display, because its hard to see the size of cages over online. espeically for me, cause i dont understand the size of the cage sizes they give you. so im not going to leave you links for it.

Although, I did relize there are tons of tempting cages with lots of tubes. again i would not get it. you have to clean the tubes.. espeically if you hamster poops and pees where he/she pleases (mine does. i have to clean his ball ALL THE TIME -.- )

If you want to buy a custom built, go to http://www.ebay.com/ or http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/

sorry when you open the link for craigslist it auto put winston salem on there because of were i live. you can change the city on the right side of the page.

Good luck. any questions about the dwarf? Email me at KatieKitKatYoung@yahoo.com!

The ferplast mini duna that was recommended is by far one of the biggest, best budget cages you can ever find for a dwarf, I keep all of mine in them, and they're absolutely perfect. They easily hit space requirements for a hamster (comes at a total of 450 square inches if you count the second level i think, and 360 is the recommended), no way that they'll escape, and can be extended if you find the right pieces (look for the duna fun cage), or do a custom job yourself. Check ebay for one.

A word of warning, there's not one cage at petco or petsmart that I'd even consider putting my hamsters in, they're all too small, too dangerous and on top of that, far too expensive. If I were you I'd chalk the lot off my list right now.

If you really wanna cut the budget then build a bin cage, I'll not go over details, just google a how to.

PS - Superpet Crittertrail? They're awful, NEVER buy one. Cramped, shoddy, nasty little things, most don't break 200 inches of floor space.

Source(s): experienced owner and user of those cages

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the best hamster cage?

also- do you know any websites that sell custom built...

Source(s): hamster cage: https://biturl.im/SchDn

First I would check on eBay they have good hamster cages and tubes for low prices Ware critter or critter trail I reccomend ware critter expanded universe hamster cage that's what I have and I attached it to the crittertrail three and Bucky loves it they are very colorful and have four places each where they can be expanded

LOVE this cage: http://www.justcages.co.uk/hamster-cages/ferplast-...

I have the maxxi one for my Syrian, I don't know if they deliver to America (I'm in Wales :/) but something like that is spacious, no bars (no noisy chewing) with plenty of floor space :)

Xxx

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Pet-CritterTrail-One-Hab...

this is the cage i use for my chinese dwarf hamster! the only thing is you have to buy a separate water bottle. the one it comes with leaks and the hamster wont drink out of it! so but a water bottle that you can just hook on the side rail!

Critter Care has lots of fun cages with tunnels and etc that has colours and such :3

Super pet critter trail