? asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Why are there some violent animals and some peaceful animals?

It's like there's good and evil in this world.

• Mary
    Favorite Answer

It's pretty rare that I find myself on the same side as Deer Hunter, but what he and others have said is *mostly* true.

It is in the carnivorous animal's nature to hunt and kill its prey. This is not violent behavior, and it certainly isn't evil. It is natural. However, wanton violent behavior does occur in both humans and in animals other than humans.

Chimpanzees have been observed castrating and beating to death other chimps.

http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/050209_war... Some researchers have looked at this behavior to determine the origins of human violent behavior.

Hippos also demonstrate violent behavior. Sometimes this is self-defense and establishment of territory. Sometimes it is unprovoked.

Here's some info about hippos and crocs, which live as competitive neighbors.

http://vertebrateblog.com/?p=858

Swans also display territorial behavior, but they can sometimes take it above and beyond. Sometimes swans attack other animals including humans who are not even in their territory, like this one in England.

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Hissing-Sid-evic...

Dogs are highly cooperative pack animals. Yes, sometimes there is struggle within the pack or between packs but this is natural behavior. I wouldn't call it violent. What is not natural is when sometimes individual members of generally peaceful species, like dogs, can become violent through being mistreated. We have all heard about people forcing dogs or roosters or other animals fight. This is just an expression of human violence, using the other animals as pawns.

So I'm not sure I'm comfortable using the terms good and evil, but there are violent and nonviolent choices. And humans are capable of choosing either type of behavior, but we are not the only ones. Other animals can also make violent choices and exhibit violent behavior too.

• Alex

They aren't maliciously violent, they're just acting on instinct. If their instinct tells them to run they run, if their instincts say stand and fight then they will.

Humans are probably the only species to make a real differentiation between peace and violence, other species merely see it as a cue to play off.

Besides humans can be violent and peaceful as well, it's a matter of restraint and socialization that prevents us from following those instincts like other animals are naturally wired to do.

I can't speak for other people but despite generally being a very docile an even tempered person I sometimes feel very aggressive to the point of wanting to rip and shred with bare hands and teeth. This is usually followed by a physical work out like running, punching bag, manual labour and loud music to tune out the rest of the world while I try and work the aggression out without hurting someone.

I don't get angry or violent easily and I can count on one hand the number of times when I have verbally vented my frustrations on someone but the tendency is there for all creatures and sometimes it's stronger than others.

Right now I feel extremely violent having been stressed and pressured for three weeks straight and I'm probably going to go for a long walk with my headphones in to try and ease it. Even I can see it though, my spine is rigid, my shoulders are back, my fists clench without me realizing, my teeth are gritted and my upper lip is slightly curled. I may be calm when I speak and smiling for people but if anyone looked closely the message they'd get from my body language would be "back the f*** off or I'm going to hurt you."

It's not a matter of good or evil, I certainly don't want to hurt any one and I don't have any evil or malicious intentions towards them, I don't feel aggression towards any one or anything in particular even the circumstances that made me so stressed and wound up in the first place, but the physical urge for aggression is there none the less.

Animals get this urge and act on it, humans get this urge and (usually) repress or channel it.

To be truly good or evil there has to be an intent behind it.

If I went out with the intent to mutilate a specific person for a specific reason then that could be considered evil because my actions were completely conscious and planned.

Likewise if I put myself out to help someone then that might be considered good because I consciously made the effort to do so.

Good and evil are social constructs that belong to humans with ethics and morals, not to the animal kingdom where instinct is everything.

properly, human beings are animals. there grew to become right into a time in history the place human beings fought like animals. Animals have not got a language like human beings do. One species can no longer communicate with them. There are some human beings who combat basically like animals. Animals additionally help the finished international. there is an previous community American tale the place the tribe is death because of the fact there is not any foodstuff and the with the foodstuff they do discover is hurting them by using being ill. The community American God introduced 2 wolves and that they killed the sickly animals and the tribe survived by using having wholesome animals. human beings adapted from animals first, at the same time as animals are slower. In end, human beings and animals and the two non violent and violent.

evolution operates by producing trade offs in a species which allows them to maximise some aspects at the expense of others. EG in humans we have enormous brains which require huge amounts of energy, the trade off is we need to be cared for over many years during development plus we need a very long time in the womb before then. So this makes the parents more vulnerable, ad the only reason it was possible was because our ancestors lived in communal societies where responsibilities were shared. If our species was like tigers for example, we couldn't have developed the large brains since the female tiger looks after the young on her own. Tigers are independent by two years old, at two years old we still need a decade or more before we become independent.

So for some animals, they produce lots of offspring which fend for themselves. In cases where they are unable to defend themselves (eg turtles, most insect larvae) the majority will die but a few will survive. In these "peaceful" animals, that is the trade-off. In other species, they might not kill for a living but they are far from peaceful with adaptations to allow them to fight off predators and even each other. Look at this clip of giraffes fighting, they are brutal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HCIGFdBt8

Youtube thumbnail

Anyway it is not a question of good or evil, it is a question of survival of the species. The ones which adapt best to their surroundings will produce offspring which will survive to adulthood and produce their own offspring. Whether they are violent or not depends on what strategy best suited their ancestors survival under the conditions the ecosystems they lived in placed upon them.

All animals can display a behavior that is classified as violent. No animal is completely peaceful. Human beings are notoriously violent animals.

Source(s): Vegetarian

i think its just they way they are born and adapted to the environment and origin they come from. they are just naturally like that. for example pitbulls can be attackers and violent because they were originated from a family that fought. but all animals are sacred in my opinion so i dont believe in violent animals.

A lion doesn't commit genocide. i.e. the pack won't kill all of the gazelle it can. It slaughters one, and eats it. Then they sit around digesting their food. A lot of the time, you'll see gazelles standing around unafraid of lions who just ate. There is nothing "evil" about a lion following it's nature. Their digestive track is too short to make much use of plant matter.

Source(s): locavore wannabe

They just do what they have to do to survive.

Instincts play a huge role in the thoughts and actions wild (and domestic) animals do.

Animals aren't violent or evil. They just do what evolution and nature intended.

http://animalsbeingdicks.com/

First thing I thought of. Sorry for not answering the question, but you have some really good responses that I can't top.