Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Sentence: Domesticated maize and natural teosinte ARE gentically different.

I think I have it right, but Microsoft Word keeps saying the verb should be "is" instead of "are".

Which is correct?

Favorite Answer

I think MSW is confused by the compound subject. Additionally, I think your sentence would make more sense if you said:

Domesticated maize is genetically different from natural teosinte

You current sentences made me think you had forgotten to say to what they were genetically different.

I do believe you are correct. I am not sure when you would use "is" in that sentence structure.

This is plural by the way. Maize and Teosinte are both plural forms.

Eggrolls is a plural hence why are eggrolls called eggrolls. Not why is eggrolls called eggrolls. You would not say "why is bicycles called bicycles?" It would be correct if I asked "why is an ecalled an eggroll?" But not why are eggrpolls.... But I did not ask a gramatical question. I was trying to find out what is the egg part of an eggroll?

Source(s): English verbs.

Using "is" doesn't make the sentence sound right, "are" makes much more sense.

"are" is for plural. "is" is for singular. although it may sound wrong "is" MIGHT actually be corect

ARE