Can mild autism 'develop' in adulthood?

I was diagnosed for mild autism at a young age. Although the symptoms were very noticeable during my childhood, my social skills developed a lot in my teenage years. I was very talkative, loved to socialise, and was able to talk to girls and have a number of girlfriends.

However, it seems that as I have grown older (I'm now 24), my old symptoms seem to have began slowly crawling back into my life. I am still vey sociable and popular, but I've began to enjoy my own company mor and more...some days I'm very talkative, others I may hardly say 2 words to anyone.

I fear this may be affecting aspects of my life, particularly my work. I'm even finding it more difficult to develop relationships with girls I like...something i would have found easy a few years ago.

I fear this may be due to the fact that some of my friends have began to settle down with other halves, careers etc; which are things that I still struggle to do.

Is there anything I can do before my situation gets worse...should I contact a doctor, or just accept that this is who I am

Favorite Answer

By mild autism do you mean HFA, Asperger's or PDD-NOS?

In any case autism isn't something you can outgrow. You can develop social skills and mature out of some symptoms, but your brain is wired a bit differnently and always will be. This isn't a bad thing. I think you should accept yourself as you are, but also contact an Psychologist or MSW who can help you work on social skills and learn more about yourself. You may also have a bit of ADHD, and there are medications that can help with that. The intermittent talkativeness sounds more like ADHD than an ASD.

You are fabulous as you are, but some therapy can help you understand yourself and the world better so you can make choices that work best for you.

Source(s): 2 of my kids have Asperger's. We all have ADHD.