How do you determine startup capital needed for a coffee shop / bar, especially a unique one?

I'm trying to write up a business plan to get investors for a hybrid retail store / coffee shop I want to start, but I've never done something like this before, and I'm finding it exceedingly hard to find resources for calculating the startup capital I'm likely to need, especially regarding equipment and starting inventory. My idea is a hybrid retail store/lounge. It will be 1/3 retail -- where we sell board games -- and 2/3 coffee/alcohol bar (bottled alcohol only) with hangout area (for drinking/playing games).

For the retail portion, I've been told that full-on board-game stores spend as much as $50,000 on inventory, which leads me to believe I'd be spending at most $25,000. The real undefined values are in regard to the coffee/bar portion. I don't know where to look to find out how much I'll be spending to start up those portions.

• Henry
    Favorite Answer

You are the only one that can figure that out as every situation is unique. Go to http://www.score.org/template_gallery.html and download the Excel template for estimating startup costs.