Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 9 years ago

Need help choosing a computer degree?

I am 32 yrs. old and have a BS in Exercise and Sports Science. I currently work for Keiser University and want to go back to school because they are offering 100% tuition reimbursement. I'm considering either an MBA or a degree in computers. If I decide to go the computers route, then I need to choose from one of the following degrees they offer:

Associates Degrees:

Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)

Computer Graphics and Design

Computer Programming

Information Technology

Technology Integration

Web Design and Development

Bachelor Degrees:

Cyber Forensics/Information Security

Management Information Systems

Network Systems and Data Communications

Software Engineering

I'm not really sure what degree would be the best fit for me as I don't have a specific career goal/path in mind. I'm just looking for a career that offers growth opportunity, higher salary, and job security. I've always excelled in Science and English but have been weak in Math. Although I use computers on a daily basis I'm no computer whiz by any means. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

flips712

Favorite Answer

I'm a computer science student myself. At my university, we have different concentrations like networking, software engineering, bioinformatics, web design, etc. When I was first trying to decide, I asked my professors, older friends I knew who were working for TI, Apple, and IBM, and they all said that it really just depends on you. You need to take a few courses in CS before you decide. However, they also said that I should be aware that networking jobs are suppose to drastically increase in demand within the next decade.

First, forget about the associates degrees. Compared to your other options they are worthless.

Any of the bachelor degrees you mentioned will be rewarding. My personal choice would be software engineering since it will give you lots of jobs opportunities in different industries (also, I'm an engineer and I work with SW engineers so my opinion is biased).

However, keep in mind that you'll have to take math up to calculus 2 or 3 and some calculus based physics courses in order to make it to upper division and expect to spend a fair amount of hours in front of the computer doing lab assignments. As a software engineer you could be making $55K per year as soon as you graduate.

If you feel you have the skills to go into management you could also take the MBA. However, you would be gambling as not all the MBAs find a job right away.

You should do some research about those careers and also about the companies in your area or wherever you want to relocate, since the job demand depends on them.

Since all of these choices could lead to good, viable employment (since none of them are like underwater basketweaving or something silly that you couldn't make a living from) I think you need to figure out which one you like the most first. Read over the programs and you should get a feel for where your interest seem to lie/converge. The other considerations(growth, salary, job security) as important as they are, are still secondary to the likeability factor.

Source(s): Computer Engineering student

there are various classes of computer available. In what you probably did your twelfth? technology or commerce? If Sci then you definately can flow up with computer engineering or B.Cs. in any different case it is likewise possible to soak up with BCA. in case you have taken commerce.