Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

Is this a good hamster cage?

http://cgi.ebay.com/52-2-Jill-Deluxe-Hamster-Gerbi...

Will it house my two winter white dwarfs? Is it safe? Is it sturdy? Anything else I need to know about it?

Favorite Answer

No, it's too small. Minimum cage size should be 70x50x40 cm.

Hope I helped :-)

Source(s): Own 4 hamsters

@meo and robotastic, that cage is measured in inches on the "features" segment of the description, and is 20.5 X 20.5, which is 400 square inches, perfectly sufficient for her hamsters

This is the first one of these I've seen where I don't have to go on about cages being too small, which is good. I do however have a few concerns, they may not turn out to be huge problems, but I feel I should highlight them.

1) The cage has a few different levels, sometimes hamsters will become territorial over a single level and defend it from others, which is obviously a bad thing. Typically it only happens if there's just one added level, and it's quite big, those ones should be okay, just keep an eye on on them.

2)Young winter whites can have difficulty climbing vertical tubes, if they can't manage it you may want to provide a ladder or something instead, as they grow larger it shouldn't be such a huge problem, again just keep an eye on them if they're having difficulty.

3)There's nothing to stop the hamsters falling from the highest level, an awkward fall (say they hit the edge of the level below) could be dangerous. Again, that's only a maybe, I can't be sure.

4)The access points are quite small, if a fight breaks out or one of the hamsters gets injured it might be hard to get to them quick enough.

Overall it looks to be a pretty sturdy cage, Jill are quite well known for rat habitats of high quality, so build is fine. And like I mentioned earlier, it's big enough for your two hamsters (360 square inches is bare minimum, the 400 that has is great for a pair of dwarfs). If you ask me I'd try to find something the same size, but not quite as tall, maybe all one level, but that's a big ask. There's not many cages like that in England, and they're virtually impossible to find in the states.

Source(s): Experienced owner, lots of reading, keep a pair of Russian Campbell's myself.

No no no.

Please don't listen to the people who say it's fine, it most certainly is not. A hamster cage needs to be atleast 360 square inches (multiply length of base x width of base) The levels do not count to the size of the cage unless they are the same size as the base, which they are not. Your dwarf hamsters will without a doubt fight in a cage like this. It's too cramped, they'll have no room, they can fight over the levels, etc.

Try making a bin cage: http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_c...

Roomy, sturdy, safe, and cheap!

If you want to buy a cage, then get a zoozone 1 or 2. It's perfect for housing multiple hamsters because it's all one level so they can't fight over the multiple levels. Plus it's one of the only big enough hamster cages on the market.

• Alanna

Seems alright, but I have to let you know: dwarf hamster don't like to climb as much, they would much rather have space to run. You could probably find a cage for the same pricing that has a bigger floor area so they can run and won't have to climb so much. I have 2 levels for mine and he does get up the tube without a problem. Just keep this in mind. Other than the climbing issue, it seems like a good cage. :P

That cage will suffice just fine, and it sells for a good price it seems too. It will house your hamsters just fine, especially considering two major things, first being you're only housing two, secondly, petsmart houses multiple hamsters in a smaller "tank" then what you're providing for your "Two" hamsters.

Hope this helped!

seems fine just make sure u have treats for them to chew on cuz in most cases, hamsters will chew the bars and escape

it looks just fine for 2 hamsters, they should be able to live in there together

yes