promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Scott-7 asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

What's with all these new down trodden black movies?

Here is the questions and the rules.

1. Why is Hollywood in the past 3 or 4 years coming out with these horrible movies of PATHETIC black people being saved by POWERFUL lighter skinned/white people? Precious, The blind side, Freedom writers, The Help etc.

is it because of

A. Barack Obamas presidency

B. The economy is hurting white people therefore they need a morale booster or

C. Something else entirely.

2. How come people still don't see the subtle racist, white superior/black inferior imagery that's in these movies? How can people today still be so blind to it?

3. Why do people say "It's not about race, it's about people helping each other"? If it's really not about race and it's about different human beings coming together to HELP each other, Name me five, that's right only five.

Five movies that depict a well to do black person helping out down trodden white people. And show me five more movies where different people help each other out and none of them is white or black but it's still multi-racial/multi-cultural.

Seriously if it's not about race, than it has been switched around right? It's been more than just rich white-poor black right? If it''s truly about HUMANS helping each other.

Update:

1. Please no cliche answers. "There's some movies that show the opposite but I can't remember the names" "It was written by a white woman so it's not racist" "It's based off of a book" "It's historical" "You should read the book first"

Okay none of this nonsense up here will be accepted as an answer.

2. Actually answer each question point by point. With references please.

3. No spamming. You will be flagged!!!

4. No ignorant, racist, hateful. sarcastic and arrogant statements please. Answers will be monitored!!

I need someone to just honestly explain why Hollywood movies are constantly stuck on this cliche.

Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • george
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Do you want the honest, realistic answer? Well, here it is.

Hollywood is a business. They are only interested in one thing, and that is making money by selling tickets. Hence, they need to appeal to the largest possible audience.

People of all kinds tend to prefer watching movies about people like themselves. Not just racially. Young people tend to favor movies about young people. Men tend to prefer movies with male stars. Americans tend to prefer movies about Americans, rather than other nationals, etc... It's human nature. Viewers tend to subconsciously put themselves in the place of the lead character of a movie, and that's easier to do when the actor is like you.

The producers want to capture the largest possible audience. In America, most of the audience is white. So most of the time, putting a white actor in the lead will attract more viewers than putting a black actor in the lead (although there are, of course, obvious exceptions, with a few major black stars).

So, when Hollywood has an interesting African-American story, they face a bit of a quandary: logic says that they should cast black actors, but economics suggest they'd be better off with white actors. So what do they do? They compromise. They do a story about blacks, but they do it from the viewpoint of a white character. That way, they think they can have it both ways.

So we get movies like 1989's "Glory", the story of a black Civil War company, with mostly black actors, but told from the vantage point of their white commanding officer (Matthew Broderick).

Or "The Killing Fields", a story about the Cambodian genocide, told from the perspective of an American photographer (Sam Waterston) trapped there during that time.

Bottom line? It's all about the bottom line. Or as the movie titles says: "It's All About the Benjamins".

To address, more specifically, your observation about plots involving people helping out the downtrodden... Here, you can blame Hollywood's tendency to generalize, and to follow stereotypes, both racial and non-racial.

While there are now a good percentage of well-to-do African Americans in this country, the unfortunate reality (as I'm sure you're aware) is that blacks are still disproportionately represented among the ranks of the poor. We can almost certainly trace this back to historical causes, including slavery and Reconstruction, but whatever the cause, a black American is still far more likely to be poor than a white American.

According to these stats: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparebar.jsp?ind... , 35% of blacks in America are poor, while only 13% of whites are poor. According to census records, in 2008, average income for a black family was barely more than half of the average income of a white family ($65,000 to $39,000 respectively).

Hence, Americans, both black and white, tend to think of whites as being better off financially than blacks. It is a generalization, but Hollywood thrives on generalizations.

So when they think about doing an interracial story about a well-to-do character helping out a disadvantaged character, the unoriginal minds of Hollywood just naturally assume that the poor character is black and the rich character is white. Hollywood loves stereotypes, of all kinds.

That's why, in movies, the smart guy usually wears glasses, the fat guy usually eats all the time, Southerners are usually ignorant hicks, homosexuals are usually flaming, and mobsters are usually Italian. Hollywood wouldn't recognize an original idea if it bit them on the ***.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

C. While I think you should leave The Help off this list, primarily because it hasn't come out yet and there is no way to speak to that film objectively. I think that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Hollywood is not one gigantic company, its lots of little people trying to make their way. Which means that ideas do get duplicated. One person has the script of Blind Side, another has the script for the help.

2. The only one that I found racist out of the ones that you talked about was the blind side. I was so offended by just the trailer for that film. I know I wasn't the only one.

3. Its obviously about race. Though not necessarily in the way that you are thinking about. America has racial issues, not just with blacks, but with mexicans as well as indians. Movies like the ones you mention try and address those issues, however not very well. (obviously)

The only one that comes to mind is that Sam Jackson and Nic Cage film, Amos and Andrew where a wealthy black man is mistake for a burglar in his own home.

• 9 years ago

It is the way it is. The underlying racism is there and it is naturally embedded in the people that subtly or blatantly display it in essence. A person can ignore this part of himself and try to develop himself into a better person in society with other races/nationalities but if it is there it will show one way naturally. If the person is racial in essence and try to only hide it to gain and maintain favor and leverage, it will show anyway. The person is who he is unless one works extremely and genuinely hard to be pardoned of it on a super spiritual level (how I see this). So, yeah, it IS there and if you all only just think about this do you see a lot of movies in vis a versa? Truth of it is truth and know, accept and make your points to the masses and the sources to gradually make awareness and motivate a positive change like some other issues have come to be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.