lost hiker catastrophe?

My friend was lost in the woods, fell off a 50 foot cliff and lived for three days with broken bones before she was found and medivact out. Now she's in the hospital undergoing a lot of medical attention. She has no health insurance and no money (art tether at a Montessori school). How can I rase some meager funds to help her with her medical bills?

Best Answer

A lot of hospitals offer Charity Care for people who can't afford to pay. She should look into that.

• Lysa

Is this her? http://news.yahoo.com/ore-woman-rescued-3-nights-r...

I read your question last night and then saw this article this morning. I'm assuming that this is the person you are talking about.

Medical insurance is one of the reasons I left private education. After many years of directing a private school I was only making $7.50 an hour and there wasn't even a benefits package! It was horrible to work so hard and live so much on the edge. I lived in constant fear of getting sick or being hurt. Now, 15 years later people not only want to take away public school teachers' medical care by removing their bargaining rights, but they complain bitterly about any kind of national health care program to cover working people like your friend and me.

I don't know what you could do legally, but if you have the time and energy, you could start to make her story known to the mass media. This would not only help her, but call attention to the plight of all of all teachers. Start a bank account specifically for her medical bills at a local bank Then call up local news stations and public assess stations, write to news papers and speak to your local radio stations. Look into having your NPR station do a segment on her, and throughout it all, tie her problems into the on the mass media's demonization of all of us teachers .

Good luck, and thanks for being such a caring friend to her.

Source(s): 24 years of teaching in public and private schools around the world. PS - Maybe you could contact Matt Damon and ask for some publicity- he has been very vocal in his support teachers. http://southflorida.sun-sentinel.com/news/sns-vira... (Thank you from the bottom of my heart Matt!)
  • chris

Do just as your doing now by publicizing the ordeal and asking for donations. However asking in this venue is of no value since trolls and fraud run rampant. Work with your community leaders or a local church to set up a donation account that would direct the funds towards her. I saw the news reports this morning concerning her case a great story of surviving the odds. Of course this would have never happened had the two stayed together using the buddy system and being prepared. Imagine how bad it looked for the boyfriend to have lost her and to have never found her. I believe her family would think the worst and accuse him of murder. But thankfully god had other plans.

Be prepared!

If you are asking about the legal process involved, then you should form a 501(c)(3) so you can obtain corporate and individual contributions to raise funds. See an attorney. Also, contact social services agencies in your county for advice and attempt to discuss the assessed costs with medical care providers to determine whether any of the bills can be reduced based on her lack of income. From a political perspective, you point to one of the many failures of the United States in providing medical care to its citizens. Recently, one of my colleagues died of cancer with substantial bills left behind as her legacy. The factual situations sounds like Danelle Balengee.

You can find out who her favorite artist is, or who her favorite singer is, and try to see if they would be willing to do a benefit concert for her. I find that these type of things raises a lot of money usually.