My Mom Says I'm Skinny and Look Unhealthy?

My mom just told me that I'm too skinny for my age, and that I look unhealthy. I'm 13 about to turn 14 years old, 5 feet tall, and I weigh 98 lbs. Am I too skinny or anorexic or something? Hearing things like that from my mom makes me feel insecure and bad about myself.

Best Answer

Well i just did the math, and it looks like you have approximately a 19 BMI. Im not an expert, but i know lots of people that have a 19 or even less. One of my best friends is 6"1' and 130 pounds. Thats skinny, but hes not going to starve any time soon.

Simple answer: Your mom is wrong.

I wish i was a little skinnier! 5"10 150lbs.

Source(s): BMI Calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

A lot of it depends on your body composition, and "looking healthy" and "being healthy" are not always the same thing. Particularly when you are within the range of a healthy BMI, what's more important is how you feel about yourself. I used to be 140 lbs, 5'10" or so, which is a fairly average BMI (20.1). At that point I started lifting weights and put on about 25 pounds (23.7 BMI). In both cases, I was considered a "healthy weight" (18.5 - 24.9 BMI). However, I certainly felt better at 165, and people did comment that I looked healthier. Again, it depends on the individual though.

Thats healthy. I'm 17 5''1 and weigh 95 lbs. So dont feel insecure. My mom used to say the same thing but i look past it because i love my size. Be proud of it. Many people wish they were that size.

Source(s): Me

Weight is not only dependent of height, but also on body build. If you have a big frame, 98lbs will be a little on the low side. If your body is average, you will be slim but not too skinny (BMI=19.16, the recommended range is 20-25 but above 15 is not considered a problem). If you are petite, you might be about right.

No that's just fine! You are on the small side, but that's just thin, not scrawny or anything. Count yourself lucky! Moms say things sometimes that they don't mean to make us feel bad but they do.. Don't worry about it, she probably wishes she had her thin teenage body back.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtopW...

Your bmi is 19.1 so you have a healthy weight. A healthy bmi should be somewhere between 18.5 and 24.9. You're good :)

nahhh girl. you only 5 foot tall....98 pounds is perfect. is yo' mom a real fat ayuss or something. maybe she jellin'

your fine. that weight is healthy. im 5'5 and 90lbs and im fine. plus you cant be anorexic, those people starve themselves and get a voice in their head telling them to lose weight.

thats a good weight for your height and age..

No that shealthy i dont know what the Fu** she talking bout