whoaaaa asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

Do you prefer fixed gear or freewheel bikes?

Today I got my bike back from the bike shop. I had them convert my old schwinn world into a single speed freewheel. I did this instead of keeping all the gears and instead of fixed because I like how the maintenance is really low and there are less part to break. Also, when I ride now, it seems more fluid, the chain isn't going through a derailur or anything. I chose freewheel over fixed just because I like being able to coast and I can really enjoy riding instead of wondering how to brake.

So my question is, which do you prefer? Why?

Favorite Answer

This new found feeling of fluidity really isn't too big of a surprise; almost anything will feel smoother than an old-school drivetrain. (laughs) But you are right about the maintenance, or lack there of; less parts less problems! Fixies are cool and trendy, perhaps too much for their own good. And as with any trend, I imagine they wont be around, or at least so mainstream, forever. Maybe I'm just not cool enough, but a single speed just makes more sense.

• tennis

relies upon on the rear hub. some you need to use a particular wrench to eliminate the threaded kit assembly and screw on a freehub. you additionally can get a hub laced in at a competent interior sight motorcycle save which will enable for a turn-flop setup or strictly a single sided bmx thread mount. there are various a thank you to do it, returned relies upon on the rear hub. flow to a competent motorcycle save on your area. an elementary BMX thread swap would desire to cost no extra desirable than approximately 25$. you are able to flow loopy with extra high priced areas in case you needed. A uncomplicated ACS freehub will do the trick in the journey that your hub is threaded.

I'll stick with my gears, derailleurs & brakes - thank you very much.