I've decided I want to be a dentist..where do I start?

I'm an upcoming senior in high school. I have around a 3.6 - 3.8 GPA.However,I did below average on my SAT and am hoping to do it better next time. I struggle more in Science than in Math,both subjects I know are important to this field. I plan on going to Georgia Highlands. It's a community college within driving distance. What do I do after this?

Thanks everyone :)

Favorite Answer

Some info from a University with a dental school:

http://www.dental.pitt.edu/students/first_professi...

This is where you apply:

https://portal.aadsasweb.org/

Most community colleges have a cooperative plan with 4-year colleges and universities that are located within a reasonable distance. A student can obtain a 2-year degree from the community college and then transfer over to the university for the other 2 years to earn the Bachelor degree. Then one can move on to dental school.

Find out if your local comm.college has such a plan in effect and if so, find out as much info as you can. Meet with a counselor who can steer you in the right direction. Also meet with a counselor at the colleges or universities in your area. If there is a dental school in your area, you might also talk with someone there for guidance. The more you know about what to expect as you navigate through the education process, the more it will benefit you.

Try to meet each time with the same academic counselor/advisor so that he/she can get to know you, and you will have someone "in your corner", someone to call upon should difficulties arise or you run into a snag or two.

Well, if you don't have the money to just go to school for it, some start as a dentist's assistant and most of the time, they're willing to train :)

I'd say go to your normal dentist and just ask.

I would choose a college to attend and then let an advisor direct me from there.

cleaning your grandpa's dentures