Jehovah Witnesses--Can I Ask You A Question About Jesus Being God?

I am a non-denom christian. I have rejected the trinity for a few years now, and I view that Jesus is the son of God and Messiah, but not God per say. So I have always kinda shared that view with JW's.

Recently, however, I came across an article which did present the idea of Jesus being God in a new way, which kinda has me re-thinking it.

If any of you have the time, I would love to hear your criticisms or comments on that article. I will post a link below and let this question stay open for a day or two to give anyone time.

Thanks!

http://www.christian-history.org/the-trinity.html

@ Evil Eye---I didn't write that article. If I wrote that article, I would call it "my article." It is an article I recently stumbled upon. I am ANTI Trinitarian, which means I DO NOT accept Jesus as God.

But I thought the article made some good points, and I wanted to hear their thoughts. So far you are all pretty much being rude and offensive.

@Biblical--Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of what you wrote, and that has always been my position. What the article speaks about is the way the logos (word) relates with God, and primarily the way Jesus could have "ever existed" as the word, which could mean he has the same substance/nature/divinity of the father, yet separate.

That is the main point I am interested in JWs commenting on (if any have the time).

Favorite Answer

It is clear that the Father is God. Also, it is clear that the Holy Spirit is spoken of as a separate person throughout the New Testament and is God. The only question now is if Jesus is the God.

The most critical matter of “truth” in the Bible is who Jesus is. If you get this wrong, nothing else matters. Our entire salvation and eternal life rest on this truth!

Jesus knew he was God. For example, Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason. “… you, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. Notice that Jesus does not deny His claim to be God. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30), He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!” The response of the Jews who heard this statement was to take up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded them to do (Leviticus 24:15).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “the Word was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church—the church of God—with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, “But about the Son He says, ’Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” The Father refers to Jesus as “O God” indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11, 14:33, 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other verses and passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.

Jesus Christ is God!

I love the JWs, but very much dislike their teachings.

Source(s): wiki and over 40 years experience with this organization.

Yes, the Bible also refers to the Son of God by the title “God.”

At Isaiah 9:6 he is called “Mighty God.” But in the Bible, angels, humans, false gods, and Satan are also called “gods.”

Angels: Psalm 8:5; compare Hebrews 2:6, 7.

Humans: Psalm 82:6.

False gods: Exodus 12:12; 1 Corinthians 8:5.

Satan: 2 Corinthians 4:4.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word for “God,” ’El, simply means “Mighty One” or “Strong One.” The equivalent in the Greek Scriptures is the‧os′.

Moreover, the Hebrew term used at Isaiah 9:6 shows a definite distinction between the Son and God. There the Son is called “Mighty God,” ’El Gib‧bohr′, not “Almighty God.” That term in Hebrew is ’El Shad‧dai′ and applies uniquely to Jehovah God.

But we need to be careful about reading too much into these verses. The Hebrew expression rendered “Mighty God” is not limited to Jehovah as is the expression “God Almighty.” (Genesis 17:1) Admittedly, there is a difference between being Mighty and being ALmighty, with no superior.

At Isaiah 43:10 Jehovah says: “Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.” Those words do not prove that Jesus is God. The point is that Jehovah had no predecessor, that no god existed before him, for he is eternal. There will be no god after Jehovah because he will always exist and will have no successors as the Supreme Sovereign.

If a certain title or descriptive phrase is found in more than one location in the Scriptures, it should never hastily be concluded that it must ALWAYS refer to the same person. Such reasoning would lead to the conclusion that Nebuchadnezzar was Jesus Christ, because both were called “king of kings” (Dan. 2:37; Rev. 17:14); and that Jesus’ disciples were actually Jesus Christ, because both were called “the light of the world.” (Matt. 5:14; John 8:12) We should always consider the context and any other instances in the Bible where the same expression occurs.

• X

The Bible, in crystal clear, non-ambiguous terms pointedly shows that Jesus Christ IS NOT and CANNOT be God.

The Bible shows that Jehovah alone is the Most High God. Even Jesus himself acknowledged this and even told his followers (at his ascension to heaven after his resurrection) that he would be returning to their God and his God. That means that Jesus Christ gave his worship to the true God, NEVER accepting it of himself, and because Jesus did so, that makes it clear that Jesus himself is NOT God.

Jesus is actually referred to several times in the scriptures in reference to his being created by God. Colossians 1:15 refers to Jesus as the firstborn "of all creation". Now that part "of all creation" is a clear inference and association with Jesus Christ and creation - or things that were created. Hence, Jesus himself was a created being. Jesus is also referred to in the scriptures as "the beginning of the creation by God" (Revelation 3:14). It doesn't call him "the beginner" of creation, it calls him the "beginning", or that which was the first creation by God. Because Jesus had to come into existence by means of God, that in itself proves that he is NOT God.

Something else to consider is that Jesus came to this earth. He was born and lived as a human for some 30+ years, during that time countless hundreds (maybe thousands) of people saw him. And as for God? John 1:18 states "No man has seen God at any time". There you are again. Jesus was seen. God has NOT been seen by any man, ever. Logical conclusion: Jesus IS NOT God.

AND.....in Revelation 1:1, it yet AGAIN, drives home the FACT that Jesus Christ is not God. That verse reads as follows: "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented it in signs through him to this slave John." - - - That scripture shows very clearly the chain of command, so to speak, of the revelation that was given to John. The revelation originated with God, and God gave it to Jesus, and Jesus gave it to an angel, who transmitted it to John. Simple and irrefutable logic must come into play: if God had to give the revelation to Jesus (as the scriptures says plainly) then Jesus cannot be God because otherwise he would be giving himself something he already had......and that wouldn't make any sense at all.

• TeeM

The term 'god' is a title and in the bible we find three usage of the word.

1. To the only true God.

John 17:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB) 3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

2. To false or worthless gods.

2 Corinthians 4:4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

3. To those called gods, who are not equal to Jehovah and yet are not 'false or worthless gods.

Psalm 82:6 I said, “You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.

Here human judges are called 'gods'. Since Jehovah is the one calling them 'gods' they cannot be false or worthless.

Jesus also refers to these human judges as gods in John 10.

1 Cor 8:5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or oEHarth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father,

Remember Paul's prayer for all who desire to come to know God.:

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 16 making mention of you in my prayers; 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him

sis St Tecla, I love your source. On God the Holy Trinity/Jehovah, St Augustine further said:

Book 1:

Chapter 1.— This Work is Written Against Those Who Sophistically Assail the Faith of the Trinity, Through Misuse of Reason. They Who Dispute Concerning God Err from a Threefold Cause. Holy Scripture, Removing What is False, Leads Us on by Degrees to Things Divine. What True Immortality is. We are Nourished by Faith, that We May Be Enabled to Apprehend Things Divine.

Chapter 3.— What Augustine Requests from His Readers. The Errors of Readers Dull of Comprehension Not to Be Ascribed to the Author.

I note it is against the arianism at that time.... So, what's discuss here is the heretical arian interpretation... pointing to the mormon, jw.

So the faith that he is talking about is thru the guidance of The Trinity God the Holy Spirit. - Jehovah.

Edit: LOL St thecla you are so badly TD - not one of the JW could hack the Truth from St Augustine

• Linda

You have a few excellent answers but It seems to me that the most logical answer to your question is that Jesus himself said that he was not God, that he couldn't do anything without God's instructions and that we should be careful to worship only Jehovah and not him.

To then insist that Jesus is God is to call him a liar and that doesn't seem very wise to me.

By the way Augustine may have been the father of western theology but he was not the father of the truth. That was Jehovah.

Source(s): JW

It amazes me that some won't even accept Jesus' own view on the matter of Trinity. Was he mistaken when he made these statements: This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ (

17 Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me. For I have not yet ascended to the Father. But be on your way to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and YOUR Father and to my God and YOUR God.’

In Mathew 28: 18-20 he says that all authority was given to him. If he was the Almighty god then why would authority have to be given to him; wouldn't he already have it?

John, research on the apologies of our ancient fathers. if you go further on your research, read the mind of St Augustine on God Holy Trinity.

The truth is : Jesus is the Son of God, begotten, not made.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/130101.htm

Book 1

Chapter 6.— That the Son is Very God, of the Same Substance with the Father.

A: Not Only the Father, But the Trinity, is Affirmed to Be Immortal. All Things are Not from the Father Alone, But Also from the Son. That the Holy Spirit is Very God, Equal with the Father and the Son.

1. Those who said that Jesus Christ is not God, or not very God;

2. or not with the Father the One and Only God,

3. or not truly immortatl because changeable

4. 1 >3 are proved wrong by the most plain and unanimous voice of John 1:

a. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word is God.

b. We take it plain that the Word of God to be the only Son of God

c. Whom afterward said: And the word was made flesh and dwelt among us

5. Herein declared, not only that he is God, but also of the same substance with the Father;

a. Because after saying, And the Word was God,

b. It is also said, the same was in the beginning with God: all things were made by Him

c. And without Him, was not anything made: Not simply all things, but only all things that were MADE

d. That is the whole creature.

e. It appears clearly that He Himself was not made, “by whom all things were made.”

f. And if he was not made, then He is not a creature

g. But if He is not a creature, then He is of the same substance with the Father.

h. For all substance that is not God is creature, and all that is not a creature is God

i. If the Son is not of same substance of the Father, then he is a substance that was made

j. And if He is a substance that was made, then all things were not made by Him

k. But all things were made by Him, therefore He is of one and same substance with the Father.

l. And so, He is not only God, but also VERY GOD.

B: All Things are Not from the Father Alone, But Also from the Son.

For of Him, and thru Him, and in Him, all things

a. Of Him, that is of the Father

b. Through Him, thru the Son

c. In Him, in the HS;

d. It is manifest that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit is one God, inasmuch as the words continue in the singular number. :To whom be glory for ever.”

St Augustine is the source of all western christian theologies.The thinking and logic is so powerful... so get into it

A JW who is a top contirbutor on Yahoo Answers put this bible verse up for a girl that needed an uplift. I see Jesus' name would be "Mighty God." Please tell me how you can deny it and think he is just an angel...

Isaiah 9:6, 7: “There has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom in order to establish it firmly and to sustain it by means of justice and by means of righteousness, from now on and to time indefinite. The very zeal of Jehovah of armies will do this.”

I am Jehovah's witness.

FIRST: according to part of the article quoting: That one, individual God fills the role of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in much the same way that one actor can play three roles in the same movie.

SO....basically that means...that Sometimes God almighty....acts like his own Son.....Son of Who??....of himself....right...cause it is Son of God......sometimes he acts like father.....father of who??.....father of himself......or father of Jesus the other role??

This is the explanation JWs have:

It is very simple....I am american....cause my father is American.

Jesus is a divine being...cause his father is a divine being.....that according to Psalms 83:18 is the most high.....but that doesn't mean Jesus is equal in power to the most high.....he is a divine being...YES....of course....but he is not the most high one....but his father.

Psalms 82:1 (KJV) God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; He judgeth among the gods.

according to this Psalm....God almighty is among gods.....they are not false gods.....cause God almighty is so Holy that he can't be among false gods.

These gods....are divines creatures....the same bible call gods to the sons of God in Psalms 82:6

Psalms 82:6 (KJV) I have said, "Ye are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High."

IF....the bible call gods to the sons of God almighty....and the book of Job 1:6 and 2:1 call sons of God to the angels......that are living in heaven with God almighty......Why is a problem to understand that angels are divine beings and Jesus is the human name of the first one...but is not almighty as Jehovah??