Cant Watch Scary Movies?

So I cannot watch scary movies. Whenever my family wants to watch a scary movie im stuck in my room for the duration of the movie. However, when i have watched a scary movie it results in countless hours of not being able to sleep, looking over my shoulder, and nightmares. Any suggestions in helping me get over this fear of scary movies because i do want to be able to get over it.

Best Answer

I'd say start off slow. like with a classic horror film. they're not really scary at all. if you can handle those, then you can try "scarier" movies

good starters (classics):

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Friday The 13th

Child's Play

The Shining

The Exorcist

Halloween

Night of the Living Dead

The Omen

Alien

Medium:

Silence of the Lambs

Bride of Chucky

Seed of Chucky

AVP (Aliens Vs. Predator)

Shaun of the Dead

"Scary" (for a newbie):

Jeepers Creepers

Insidious

Freddy Vs. Jason

Friday The 13th (remake)

The Grudge

Shutter

there's obviously a lot out there, these are just to give you an idea. I do think you should start off slow though. otherwise, I doubt you'll get over you fear very well. hope this helps :)

Source(s): my sis had the same issue
  • Marian

Think of something positive or something you are doing the next day. # 6 Do an activity to get your mind off of it. # 7 Talk about the movie, as it really does help. Try to point out how it is impossible, and if the scary things did exist, why would they target you in particular? # 8 Imagine the scary scene over and over in your mind. Each time, make the scene less scary. For example, maybe the killer just jumped out of no where and killed someone. Think of when the killer stabbed the person. Next time, make them be poking them with a stick, next time they can be cat fighting etc. Each time just make it funnier. Pretty soon it will be hilarious! You won't be scared at all. Do this with each scary scene that has left you scared. Next time you watch the movie, you may be laughing your head off while everyone else is shaking in fear! # 9 If the movie is on DVD, try watching the behind-the-scenes special features. You will find that seeing how the movie was made will take a lot away from its scariness.

Watch a few "Behind the scenes" clips. They show how the movie is made. You will see the actors actually laughing during outakes of some really scary movies. This helps because then whenever you watch a scary movie you can picture the actors having such a good time making the movie and it makes you realize it's just a movie and nothing to be scared of.

I'm not a fan of scary movies either. When you watch a scary movie try thinking of how ridiculous and fake and unreal everything is, try make it funny in your mind, avoid getting to drawn into the storyline and getting scared.

The only cure is more cowbell.

No, really, though, I would say the cure is submersion. To stop being afraid of scary movies, you have to watch more scary movies. You have to get used to them.

I've watched scary movies since I was a really little kid, and I'm pretty numb to them.

It's called anxiety some people are more anxious than others. In your case you get anxious when something pops out or a freaky image appears. Just remind yourself it is not real. If you have too take a couple deep breaths and exhale through your nose.

i would say not to treat these movies like they're real and keep telling yourself that when you cant sleep..pretty soon you're family will learn that you aren't afraid and you'll become more brave :)