Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationCamping · 9 years ago

can anyone experianced in backpacking review my gear list?

ok so i am going off trail. Im beating tthe brushfor a few days. I got

4 maps (2 of which i need, other two are copies)

blouse

trousers

boots

gloves (nomex flight gloves)

extra 2 pair socks

rucksack

boonie

toiletries (ssanitizer toothbrush, toothpaste, tp, sunscreen)

extra undershirt

boonie cover

binos

food

camelbak

cchlorine

radio

2 protractors

pens and pencils

notebook

maglite

poncho

silva ranger compass

knife

sunglasses

bug spray

buzzsaw (chemlight with a string attached)

550 chord

E&E kit

small radio

i forgot flint

uh i dont need a pad... pads are for girls on their period. plus its hot outsie so no sleeping bag. headlamp i got a maglight with red lense for reading maps at night. i can go without light. use socks as filters and the chlorine is used for purifying.

ill be going off what i can find and condensed MREs. got around 3000 food calories per day. dont need a stove.. i got fire... oh and the area ill be going into has rivers and is swampy and jungle

btw, i have experiance in beating the brush. not long backpacking trips tho.

uh... a compass is accurate... dude i do a lot of landnav. its called an intersection. that give you your location.

few things 1. all i need a red lense for is reading maps at night. and i will be going from point a to b so i need protactors. and gloves is to keep the poison ivy off yoru hands. again I am taking out what i really dont need.

and ive read into the wild. I am going out into thr brush for probably a week... not months. adn if the weather turns to ****, we head for the high ground sit it out or keep going.

condensed mres means you open it up before, take out all the good stuff and take that.

btw, i have done a lot of evolutions and combat evolutions at night so i do know what i am talking about when i say night navigation WITHOUT light. (It is not that hard and I am not planning to do all nighters)

the terrain is hills with occasional swamp, rivers, and lakes. red lense because it doesnt kill night vision when reading maps.

i just dont really see a point of a white light. i mean most of the time, my hooch will be set up before nightfall and i got a fire going. if i choose to hump most of the night, all i need is a red lense to read maps. and ill get different food. just ive been raised on MREs. the taste really doesnt matter. yum cold MREs...

i know military uses gps... i really know... but i would rather use a compass... its 10x easier to use. two reasons why i dont wanna use one. one i cant afford one. two, even if i had one, i wouldnt need it. i got emergency azmuths. we got a road going parallel to our route about 4 miles away. if **** hits the fan, i go there.

Favorite Answer

It's all good if you're comfortable with it. The only thing I don't see on your list (maybe I missed it) is a first aid kit and a fire starter of some sort. These are 2 things that should be in any pack, whether extended trips or day hikes.

I'm glad there's others in this world that prefer a compass to a GPS, like myself. They never fail!

And yea, if you night hike with no light, your eyes will adjust for the most part, but keep a ight close at hand.

Enjoy! I'd love to hear about your trip when you get back.

• Mark M

There's an all-too-common fantasy with teenage males of heading off into the wilderness like Bear Grylls or some other Hollywood snake-eater, with as little as possible to satisfy their raging-testosterone-induced vision of manliness and adventure. The reality is that if you have to rely on Yahoo Answers for what may be life-saving advice, you are by no means knowledgeable or experienced enough to safely undertake such a challenge. Then, to make matters worse, you are too thick-headed to even take the advice given, as apparent by your added comments.

I also think you're full of bs about the "military evolutions." If you had real military training you'd know exactly what you should bring, and it's a hell of a lot more than what you've listed. Sure, all branches teach soldiers how to survive in the field when caught-out unprepared. But no army sends out troops on a multi-day mission without proper kit. Plan for the worst, hope for the best is the military credo.

One misplaced step, one unexpected encounter with an animal or poisonous plant, one missed landmark or wrong path taken, one bad decision, any of these can start a domino effect that could leave you in dire circumstances. If you're really interested in learning what you SHOULD bring, read up on the Ten Essentials.

At the end of the trip, the most important achievement is to come home safely. No points are lost if you carried some gear you didn't need to use. Compare this to the embarrassment of needing to call in the rangers for extraction, then a trip to the hospital and subsequent newspaper stories that will be repeated on the Internet sites and blogs as an example of "what not to do."

• casey

Be sure to carry some sort of good identification in a waterproof container, it makes it easier for search and rescue to notify your next of kin. People don't realize when they do things like this they are really testing Darwinian Law. To go into the back country without the proper equipment or experience is foolish and irresponsible. Recently a lot of resources are being wasted because of the actions of the mis-informed and mis-guided.

• chris

You don't need protractors for wilderness survival.

@ any flat straight edge will work

You don't need extra copies of maps. A gps would be a wise choice since swamp land is low and flat. A compass gives you a general direction a gps tells you exactly where your at.

@ Intersection and transversing through swampland is darn near impossible unless you can get fixes on objects that you can see in the distance. Since as you say you will be bushwhacking getting a fix on anything will be impossible. Also a gps will fix your position and tell you the way out. Should disaster befall you knowing your exact coordinates to be able to radio in with could save your life. A second suggest here is an emergency gps transponder. Even military use gps for exacts and timely take outs so I don't buy your story.

@10x easier, HAHAHAHa! I can get a gps fix on my position before you even unfold your map, that's how much faster a gps is than your version of events. Again good luck should you get lost down in the swamp. A recent episode of the news a young man died with in 200 ft of a regularly traveled road ,dehydration was determined as cause of death, he had only 50ft to go to find water. Had he a gps his story may have been different. for the price of ten lousy mre's you could get yourself a basic gps.

You don't need fight gloves, you may need insulated gloves or ranch gloves.

@Knowing what poison ivy-oak looks like will solve that problem and being able to wash them is critical to reducing exposure. add dish soap to your list. If the fight gloves can be washed and are cheaper than ranch gloves again it's your decision but it should not be based upon that they "look cool".

Chlorine only kills germs, viruses. if you want better water you need a filter too, socks wont filter all the crap out.

Your radio should be a ham radio(yaesu ft60 is what carry) and you will need to power it and recharge it, add a portable solar charger(same for the gps). you also legally need to be licensed to use it.

You don't need mre's, they are heavy for the food value they weigh and when your living off the land a waste of time to carry. There are plenty of better lighter food options to carry.

@ Again, mre's are expensive, heavy and taste like crap even the good stuff reconsider your food options specially since weight apparently is an issue and the short duration of your trial.

Lose the maglite pick a more efficient light source ml's are low in lumens compared to others at three times the available lumens and also add a head lamp so you have both hands free for whatever.

@red light reading means your trying to hide from something and is difficult to bother with. It's your choice but why make things more difficult then they need be?

@red light again, although it keeps your night vision ok... it does strain your vision to use it to read. Getting back to a light choice again go for the head lamp to free up your hands. There are many headlamps with red light features and black light features for tracking blood trails look in hunting light categories.

Knife, what kind of knife? I recommend a leatherman wave.

Flint is ok if you know how to use it, I have a fyer striker works better than old style indian flint and lasts a lot longer.

You do need a sleeping bag, ground pad and shelter. Weather changes quickly and the ground gets cold and wet. One of the main keys to survival is dealing with exposure.

That's my comment for your current list. If your hellbent for going into the boonies I suggest you read up some more since your list is rather a minimalist one. Read "into the wild" it's about a young fellow who did the same in Alaska and died there because he was ill prepared.

@ a day, a week, a month or a year it's about being prepared. Folks with a lot more knowledge that you or I have had disaster befall them and die. The more you know and prepare for the more likely your chances at survival. Given the odds on what you have shared and asked here I would give you short odds.

Check lists abound on the internet I suggest you compare your list to those who have been there done that a lot more extensively then you have, and too criticize good advice only suggests your ignorance is strong.

Good luck

Starters: I do not see a tent, sleeping bag, pad, water filter, water bottles, backpacking stove, firestarter, headlamp, extra batteries, food.

Checklist.